Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine definition warning?

Jason B.

I have been getting this error message intermittently for some time now. Maybe it is something I am doing but I dont think so.

I often bring in my geometry to Mastercam from my design software in both iges for wireframe and step for surfaces or sheet bodies. Then I save as a new name in my jobs folder. Then I import an MCX file template for my detail sheet and save again. Sometimes I will get this message........

mastercamproblem.jpg

I guess you cant read it but it says "A machine definition has been found in the Mastercam database. You can either save the database to a machine definition file or save the geometry to the format of your choice"

Then it gives me two options

Save geometry only to mastercam file

Save database to a machine definition file

What did I do to make it give me these choices? Normally it does not do this, but like I said, every once in a while it does. If I exit out of Mastercam (and lose my last file import) and restart, and call up this same file and re-import my last file (exactly like before) it will always save without issue. Why do I have to do this twice sometimes?

If I choose not to save at this point but try to program something it will not ask me for an NC name and it will not allow me to program anything. It wont give me any error messages but it just wont go through the process of selecting any geometry.

It is random and I can not duplicate it so I don't have anything I can send in to anybody.

Jason

HP Compaq Mobile Workstation

Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz

4 gig ram, XP Pro SP3

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M 512meg

Mastercam X5 (14.0.4.33)

OK. I have clicked on the question mark and here is what I get....

"this warning dialog box appears when the following conditions are met:

1.) You are working in design mode. (I am not working in design mode)

2.) You create or open a machine definition from the Settings menu. (I did not do either of these)

3.) Close any open dialog boxes, and save the file. (Well, any dialog boxes that are opened when you import other file types into an existing one and then put a dimension on something.)

So I only have ONE of the three conditions met and it still brings this problem up?

So then I say to "Save Geometry only to Mastercam file". No problem right? WRONG! It saves just fine to an MCX-5 file and everything looks good....... until I go to program anything. It does not allow me to select any geometry for programming. It takes me through the steps as if it is going to let me chain or select something, but it will highlight it without doing anything more with it. I then have to exit out of Mastercam, restart Mastercam, call up that SAME file, and then I can program like nothing was wrong in the first place.

I don't know if this will help you or not jason.

Because Mastercam supports geometric models in the machine definition, when you save your file in this way, Mastercam needs to know whether the geometry is to be part of the machine definition, or a Mastercam part file.

The Password field is active and the OK button is disabled if the machine definition you opened is password protected, and you did not enter a password when you opened it. In this case, you need to enter the password before the OK button becomes available.

Choose Save Geometry only to Mastercam file to save the part without any of the machine entities from the machine definition that you created. When you click OK, Mastercam saves the geometry as a part file.

Choose Save database to a machine definition file to save the geometry as a machine model for your machine definition. This lets you use the graphics window not only to create your machine component models, but also construction geometry, dimensions, pick points, and other geometry that might be useful in your machine definition, and save it to your machine definition file.

Del,

I do not use machine definitions as it were. (or at least I try to stay as far away from them as possible)Machine definitions and control definitions are for the 1% of Mastercam users who need them. What you are describing all makes sense but why when I tell it to save as geometry, does it not then allow me to program that geometry until I reboot?

Have I mentioned how much I dislike machine and control definitions? Why can't we just go back to not having to deal with them. Put them on a switch for the few people who actually use them so that they can turn them on. (sigh)... the good ol days....

• 3 weeks later...

why when I tell it to save as geometry, does it still not allow me to program that geometry until I restart Mastercam? And why is it asking me this question in the first place?

Anyone have any ideas?

(My sig is wrong. I am using X5. I thought I changed it but it didn't take hold apparently)

(OK. now sig is correct)

Gcode,

I'll by that to a certain extent. But we would have to assume X3 since I skipped X4 and went straight to X5 when it came out. I did the recommended installation procedures so it went to a different spot than I normally put it and I never migrate my files over like my keyboard files and stuff.

I'm not familiar with Mastercam's template file or how to modify/check/delete this file. Can you give me more info on this please?

I found some interesting things out here........

I have a file that I use for all my electrode programs that I call in as a "file merge/pattern" and overlay all my trodes. It is a setup sheet of sorts that I have been using for many years. If I call this file in as "file" "open" and select it, then all is normal. I can move forward with programming and such. If I call it in as "file merge/pattern" to overlay over my electrode, it corrupts the file and I can no longer do any programming with it until I re-start Mastercam. This is an MCX-5 file so it's not like I am calling in an older file or anything.

Now, one could say, "well just call in the setup sheet first as "file" "open" and then merge the rest of your files (wireframe and surfaces) over the top of that." The problem with that is when I call in the setup sheet, I can resize it to fit perfectly over my wireframe and surface data by scaling and placing upon import in one easy step. Without knowing the size it needs to be, I would have to call in my sheet at standard size, call in my wire and surface data, then resize my sheet around my data. It's just another step I would have to do for EVERY electrode that I make.

This must be a bug since I'm sure this is not how the software is supposed to react. Does anyone know if X6 still does this?

Right after you do the merge/pattern, go to the bottom right of your screen and open up the "groups" window.

Delete all groups.

See if that helps. I had some funny things happening after file merge/pattern a while back and a guy at CNC told me that the "groups" cause a lot of different things to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Right after you do the merge/pattern, go to the bottom right of your screen and open up the "groups" window.

Delete all groups.

See if that helps. I had some funny things happening after file merge/pattern a while back and a guy at CNC told me that the "groups" cause a lot of different things to happen.

Well, I tried the groups thing and that made no difference. Must be a bug?

Send what? If I do get a file that acts this way, as soon as I close it and re-open it, it will be fine. So if I save it to send to QC, they will be opening a file that is fine. I guess I could send them the process that I use and ask them to reproduce it? Has anyone else been able to reproduce it here? Has anyone tried?