Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming Checklist

Brian B 74

Brian

What exactly are you looking for? I don't have a programming checklist for my graphite, but off the top of my head I'm thinking of information I need to give to the operator such as electrode name, electrode size, overburn, Job number, burn location, burn depth, EDM finish, number of electrodes to make and how many cavities, electrode material (graphite or copper), etc. It's not really a checklist, just info I have on my X+ setup sheet.

When you say "to make sure they don't miss anything, especially with graphite?", what other information are you missing?

Just looking for a double check for me. I have a machine setup sheet for the EDM guy (for locations and overburn). That's not the issue. I am just looking for a list of things for me to check when I am done programming. Our electrodes are made to an exact length. EDM guys touches off with a probe to set his Z height. I give him a setup sheet (see link below) and that's all he needs. NOW - since you cannot model in overburn on an electrode model I have to be a little fancy with the WCS. I put Z0 at the bottom of my electrode holder and machine in a positive Z direction. But to compensate for overburn I have to adjust the WCS in a positive direction the amount of overburn so after cutting the electrode and holder will be the exact same as the model. I do it this way so I don't have to start changing dimensions on my EDM sheet.

I had a job come through that I incorrectly adjusted the WCS and made all the electrodes too long. And because they don't touch off the electrodes the part was burned too deep resulting in the parts requiring rework. I am just looking for ideas to make sure this doesn't happen again and to see what others are doing.

EDM SHEET

(link expires on 1-20-11)

"made all the electrodes too long. And because they don't touch off the electrodes"

Was the length of the electrode checked? Do you provide a print of the electrode showing critical dims to check? It seems that if you're not going to touch off the trode you should at least quickly verify with a height gage/indicator that all trodes are the same length. Sometimes in machining a set of trodes one will chip or something, causing us to change the program, face off the current geom (or just drop G54 by .100 etc), and run the new program, creating a trode of different length than the previously run trodes. But since we touch off all trodes this is not an issue for us. It's slower to touch off all trodes but it eliminates the error of different length trodes.

I wish that were the case. Electrodes are supposed to be checked when coming out of the graphite mill - but I guess these ones weren't. EDM guys probes and goes. I would at least touch off one and make sure my numbers jive. Only takes a few minutes to do an edge find.

Thanks for the feedback!