Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hardinge GX1000 with OSP control

Just got a quote for this machine and it looks nice. Really cut the price to move the machine. Has anyone ran one of these and how do they stack up against the Haas VF3.

I like the travels and 10k spindle, the control is really nice, and the machine has good weight about it. It would be through Morris South and I know they are a stand up company. Just looking for some info if someone has ran them before.

Thanks for the reply, I does look like a really nice machine, and at almost 13000lbs it looks like it could take a good heavy cut and not want to walk across the floor. The OSP200 control looks nice and solid also. 30 tools and 10k spindle makes it flexible for job shop work. Cut some aluminum then some stainless, throw in some tool steel for good measure. I would guess that I might need an Okuma post, or could the MpMaster post work for me?

Ok I couldn't resist, cut back the wrappings and peaked around a bit. Linear guides look pretty darn small. Prolly same size as a Haas in reality. Single ok sized ball screw on y axis. Nothing huge. Funny they put it off center. Spindle looks beefy. Not sure if it's big plus or what (doubt it). That's about all I could see. It won't be powered up for a bit still, so I can't tell you more at this point. Looking forward to playing with it though.

In comparison, last commodity 40 x 20 machine I had apart was a YCI NSV102. Wow it is burly. meehanite with big fat box/roller ways. TWO huge Y-axis ballscrews. big plus spindle. Faster than hell.

Not sure what they are asking for the hardinge, but you could be getting closer to the price of the yci, or a mori duracenter, or toyoda's entry-level vertical. All prolly 15-20% more than a vf3 (and would run circles round' it). That's just me thinking out loud.

We have only sold one of those since they have been available. The customer has had it for a year now. No service call as of yet, which is a good sign. They have it next to an Okuma MCV4020. They switch programs and tooling between both machines and they say they don't notice a difference. However, they run mostly aluminum so they are putting too much of a beating on the machine. The electronics are Okuma; servos, encoders, control, etc. The mechanicals are Hardinge.

I have one here (about 10 months). The machine performs great. It usually runs 24 hrs & 6 days. Doug pointed out the Okuma parts. But I think the spindle motor, xyz ballscrews & motors were also Okuma. Doug am I right? I have seen bigger screws on other Okuma's though. Also if you need more y-axis travel you can get it to 22.7" total! E-mail me & I can fill you in. The only issue we have had is the toolchanger is NOT completely wired through the Okuma control. As in open looped. The control doesn't know where the t/c is in the event of a alarm/power failure/ air pressure drop. Thats easy to recover from "NOW", 5 months ago was total WTH!

Over all a excellent machine for under 100k! (or so)

Man, this is a great topic for me in my current situation.

I truly HATE Hardinge CNCs; we have [2] 'Super Precision' Hardinge Conquest lathes from the mid 90s and I think they are absolute junk. Now that Morris / Okuma has Hardinge, they are trying to sell me on Hardinge mills with OSP (which we know and love) and I am really torn on what I want to do. The "real" Okuma VMC is like a hundred and a half, which I really don't want to spend for the area's requirements, but Okuma doesn't offer the "ES" series anymore.

Please keep this thread alive, and anyone who has experience with this 'new' construct please drop me a line with your relevant thoughts when you have a few minutes.

Thanks

C

I could be wrong but as far as I know here is the breakdown.

Ball screws, linear guides, trucks, etc. are Hardinge.

Axis motors, encoders, drives, etc are Okuma.

The tool changer is not servo driven, It is Hardinge style. 3 phase motor, keep relays and timers.

Spindle? I believe it is a Hardinge spindle with an Okuma motor, but I'm not really sure on this one.

One question we get is about distributor. If there is an issue who owns it, Okuma or Hardinge. Since the US distributor base is both Hardinge and Okuma you shouldn't get stuck in a blame game if there was a problem. In the end the distributor is responsible for both products. As for the builder who "owns" this deal, these machines are built by Hardinge with purchased Okuma parts. It is a Hardinge machine with someone elses control and electronics, just like a Hardinge with a Fanuc.

We are supposed to have one coming for our showroom mid-year. I'll post more when I get some time to play with it.