Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IGES Files

dannysdad

post-40684-0-11644700-1328015305_thumb.pngpost-40684-0-59298300-1328015314_thumb.pngThis is my first attempt at saving a fixture as a IGES file. I drew the tombstone as a MCX-5 file, then saved it as a IGES file (I also backed it up as a MCX-5, so I didnt lose my work). It opened OK in MC after I saved it and I was able to put parts into it. When I was done for the day, I saved everyting, had a normal shutdown. Today when I came in, I opened up the the IGES Tombstone and I found friggin Jackstraws. WTF????

So I ran the whole procedure as before, I pulled up my original Tombstone MCX file, saved it as an IGES. I then ran a restart on my computer, fired up the saved IGES and again....junk. Obviously I am doing something wrong, I just do not know what it is.

Screen snapshots are attached...one shows the file before saving, then other file after reboot.

Can I shade the solids or transform them into surfaces? Or is there another format that I can save to that is different than MCX?

What I am trying to do is , on machine simulation, if the tool hits the fixture, I want the collision to be displayed.

Am I on the right course?

Thanks

If you're planning on using it for verification, saving it out as an stl is the route you'll want to go or doing a boolean add with all the solids to make a single solid body, tombstone and all the parts, then use the single solid body.

If you're planning on using it for verification, saving it out as an stl is the route you'll want to go or doing a boolean add with all the solids to make a single solid body, tombstone and all the parts, then use the single solid body.

Thanks John, I will give that a try.

Dannysdad,

Would it be possible for you to send me the MCX file and the bad IGES file that's being created?

Also, a minor point of clarification for JP...if you've got a solid or solids in your part, and save the part to IGES, the solid(s) get saved as surfaces.

Sure Pete,

I am getting ready to walk out the door right now...can I send it tomorrow? Where do I send it?