Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Giddings& Lewis HMC 450

can you be more specific?

type of control?

age of machine?

wouldn't the limit switch set it for you during a start-up / home???

The machine is about 15 years old I think and it has the Numeripath 8000 control on it.Recently it seems as though the "W" axis is moving in alot closer to the machine face than it ever has before.So I suspect that the w/z tracking may be off somehow.I don't know or understand much about programing this particular machine as we have always had someone else do all of the programing and machine setup,but he retired and subsequently passed away.So now I have "inherited" this machine with no training and an operator who is new to this machine.I also have been told this morning that it is an HMC50 instead of an HMC450 as was previously stated,if that makes any difference.

The machine is about 15 years old I think and it has the Numeripath 8000 control on it.Recently it seems as though the "W" axis is moving in alot closer to the machine face than it ever has before.So I suspect that the w/z tracking may be off somehow.I don't know or understand much about programing this particular machine as we have always had someone else do all of the programing and machine setup,but he retired and subsequently passed away.So now I have "inherited" this machine with no training and an operator who is new to this machine.I also have been told this morning that it is an HMC50 instead of an HMC450 as was previously stated,if that makes any difference.

Anyone ???

Anyone ???

Does setting "z" zero out away from the face of the spindle support effectivly move the work away from the head of the machine? Maybe like 2 inches? Will that give me more room between my fixture and the face of the machine? This is the first machine I have ever dealt with that moved both the spindle out and the table in at the same time to achieve positioning.

Good Morning

have you tried to set your z register on the offset page to zero and origin it then move the spindle out and then zero that at origin the W incremental register . I believe on the Horizontals with a Z move one is for the table and another is for the main Z axis and then another is for the spindle projection. so you should be able to control the position of all the moving parts. I am going off of some older G&L large Boring mills with older controls but the mechanics of them sound like what you dealing with.Can you send the machine to its origin on start up and then zero out all the axis's and right them down and then pick up your x,y,z for your offsets and then you can set your tool offsets and then pick up you spindle , table, and W axis .I am winging it from memories but i think if you poke around some of this may be useful. Plus i believe if you shut it down you still have to get the machine to find home every time on restarting.

Hope This Helps Ya

Plus maybe do a search for the machine on the net and get a Users manual and look up the tool setting procedures and look for the gotcha settings,:coffee:

Good Morning

have you tried to set your z register on the offset page to zero and origin it then move the spindle out and then zero that at origin the W incremental register . I believe on the Horizontals with a Z move one is for the table and another is for the main Z axis and then another is for the spindle projection. so you should be able to control the position of all the moving parts. I am going off of some older G&L large Boring mills with older controls but the mechanics of them sound like what you dealing with.Can you send the machine to its origin on start up and then zero out all the axis's and right them down and then pick up your x,y,z for your offsets and then you can set your tool offsets and then pick up you spindle , table, and W axis .I am winging it from memories but i think if you poke around some of this may be useful. Plus i believe if you shut it down you still have to get the machine to find home every time on restarting.

Hope This Helps Ya

Plus maybe do a search for the machine on the net and get a Users manual and look up the tool setting procedures and look for the gotcha settings,:coffee:

I would look for information on Kuraki boring mills as this machine should work in a similar fashion.

I was looking at purchasing an Giddings and Lewis Numericenter 15 a while back. Im kind of kicking myself for letting it pass. They dont make big solid machines like this anymore. Slow lumbering beasts. lol

• 2 weeks later...