Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing solidworks mcx toolpaths in mcx6

N.Lemmel

There is a check box in the options menu when you choose SW files in the file type dropdown

you will also have to have SW installed on the machine.

When you hit open. SW will launch and the models, chained geometry, toolpaths and tool planes will be

brought into your Mastercam session

try it with SolidWorks open but no file loaded

then opening the sldprt file in Mastercam

do these files have different SW configurations

If they have mulltiple configs you have to open the config that contains the toolpaths

if you can put one of the files on the fpt I can try it for you

First of all, as GCode says, you do need to have the "import MCX toolpaths from SolidWorks file" checkbox checked in the File/Open "Options" dialog.

What also might be getting in your way is having the part file open in SolidWorks at the same time.

Due to technical limitations related to file locking, Mastercam is not able to access the data stream in the SLDPRT which contains the Mastercam data while the SLDPRT is open.

Close the part in SW and then you will be able to bring in the toolpaths when you open it in Mastercam with the "import MCX toolpaths from SolidWorks file" checkbox checked in the File/Open "Options" dialog.

Note: to bring in the Mastercam toolpaths, you do not have to have SolidWorks installed on that computer. That is true of trying to import the Solids History (that's a different checkbox option).

to bring in the Mastercam toolpaths, you do not have to have SolidWorks installed on that computer. That is true of trying to import the Solids History (that's a different checkbox option).

Thanks for clearing that up Pete, since I have SW and Mastercam installed on all my computers, its difficult to test stuff like that.

Nick.. if you're still having problems put a file up on the ftp and I'll give it a shot.

Gcode,

Thanks for your input. Nick and I work together, I am having the same issue on my machine too.

We are making some progress, but still are not able to get the toolpaths to open in stand alone MasterCam. The furthest we get is having the underlying geometry used in the creation of toolpaths but nothing more. Importing the solids history from Solidworks is working fine.

Where is the FTP site to upload a test file to you? (forgive the newbie question, this is my first eMastercam post!)

Thanks

I don't know the protocols for what should work or not work with educational versions of SolidWorks.

I downloaded your files and opened one in SW2012SP2 x64 and got an educational version warning.

the file opened OK, but there were no Mastercam toolpaths in it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you are going to be able to do this in an educational version of SolidWorks.

Is your seat of Mastercam and industrial version or the Home Learning Edition??

• Like 1

That may very well be the problem, thanks. Our MasterCam seats are the industrial version, but our SolidWorks seats are indeed the educational version.

It would have been handy for the guys in our machine shop to open the same file either with a stand alone MC seat OR a MC4SW inside SolidWorks depending on the preference of the user concerned.

Thanks again

In 2001 I was in your situation.. the school bookstore was out of SolidWorks Educational Version

and I was 2 weeks behind in my Solidworks homework .. I said screw it.. and bought a real seat

using my wifes kitchen remodeling money :whistle:

It has turned out to be one of the better decisions I've made.....

• Like 1

That's funny!

Our situation is slightly different, we are a machine shop in a large university Physics department. We don't have the $$$ to afford full versions of SolidWorks, the educational one is what we have to use. We'll find a work around, though, we always do....

• 2 weeks later...