Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCfSW x 5

Bruce

I have just recently upgraded from X2 the MCfSW X5 and I'm having some file configuration issues. I have attached a PDf file which I hope will explain my problem.

Has anyone else experienced a similar or the same problem.

Try changing it in your machine definition, general machine parameters, tool library tab.

Try changing it in your machine definition, general machine parameters, tool library tab.

Tried that as well, it seems no matter what I do it defaults back to the C drive, and not the G drive (the server). Were is MCfSW reading these setting from during startup, it's either NOT reading all the settings in the "mcamxm.config file" or something is over riding these settings during startup.

Hey Bruce,

The path needs to be changed in the Machine Definition under General Machine Parameters. Keep in mind though, this change will only effect new files you create. Any existing you would need to replace the MD with the updated hard drive copy. So try this:

•  
  • Under "Toolpath Utilities" select "Machine Definition Manager"
  • open the machine definition you would like to change
  • click on "General Machine Parameters"
  • set tool library as needed
  • "File" "Save" and exit Machine Definition Manager
  • Close any and all SW files currently open
  • Select "File", "New" and load the machine you modified if it doesn't already load by default and verify the tool library is set as needed.

If you run into any problems or still can't get it to work please feel free to give us a call here at CNC Corporate, press "0" to the operator and ask for Ryan.

Thanks Ryan, I got exactly the same response from MC tech support this morning :thumbsup: . I had been trying to resolve this issue for the last week and have been sending emails back and forth the MC tech support daily .

I do not use MC or MCfSW myself much, I just set it up for my staff etc, but I wonder why there are so many areas within MC to set the same file paths etc. For example the "Tool library" can be set in the mcamx.config file, in machine definition manager under "general machine parameters", and the machine group properties. I would have thought the config file would have been the master ??.

Do MC have any documentation that explains all these relationships and how they work together with each other.

"I wonder why there are so many areas within MC to set the same...." Welcome to Mastercam. If something is worth doing once, it's worth doing in 5 other places as well! :thumbup:

Those config settings under "Files", "File Usage" are misleading. The only time those are applied are when you are creating a new Machine Definition from scratch. Once a "Machine/Control" definition is created the paths are then saved internal to those files. So to edit them you would need to open the hard drive copy of machine you want to change.

What's nice about this is it allows you the flexibility to set different support files for each machine type. So for example my Mazak could use a tool library specific to that machine while my Fadel points to a completely different library.

All these paths can be a little overwhelming at 1st but once you understand the thought process behind it, it almost makes sense. But if you ever get stuck or have more questions you are always welcome to shoot us an email here at CNC or post a question here on the forum. I don't think you'll find a more knowledgeable group of online user so willing to help out a fellow Mastercam'er.