Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

right angle head recommendations needed

left coast lefty

I have convinced the powers-that-be to consider getting a right angle head or two for our 50 taper VMC's. What can I expect in terms of rigidity? We are cutting mostly aluminum right now, but I have some parts with extended endmills that make me wonder if a right angle head could handle it.

Can any MC gurus out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Every job that I program in here involves right angle heads. We have a bunch of different brands in here (Koma, Alberti, Big Sheppard, Romai, and others that I can't remember right now) and they all perform well. Are you looking for flange mounted or tool changer compatible? One is more ridgid then the other. Do you need a slim design? I wouldn't go much faster then 3000 RPM with them even though I believe they all say 6K max on them. We used to have the coolant driven RAH, but did not use it very often ar all.

+1 to Rob.

Don't expect to go hoggin with one, I only use them every few months or so.

We have 2 Koma's, 2 slim Alberti's, a couple really old crappy ones, and a couple huge ones (they mount over the ENTIRE spindle) that came with our big Daewoo HMC's.

Some have gearing that is not 1:1, and some require you to run M04.

And don't forget that you will need a post, MD & CD that are set up for it.

Every job that I program in here involves right angle heads. We have a bunch of different brands in here (Koma, Alberti, Big Sheppard, Romai, and others that I can't remember right now) and they all perform well. Are you looking for flange mounted or tool changer compatible? One is more ridgid then the other. Do you need a slim design? I wouldn't go much faster then 3000 RPM with them even though I believe they all say 6K max on them. We used to have the coolant driven RAH, but did not use it very often ar all.

Thanks for the help. We are looking for a tool changer compatible. Slim design is not necessary at this point.

Koma/Alberti were helpful and have a good product IMO. We are running a slim and a mid-sized one through tool changers. Give them a call, they came out to us and got all the info for the cut parameters we needed so they could suggest the best models.

You must have a lot of them. For example, 3 just for spot, drill and tap? Does your machine orient them?

Thanks!

The machines that I program most of the time are very large 5 axis head-table mill-turns so the RAH orientation is not a problem. With the tool changer mounted heads I have room to squueze them under the laser (very tight fit) to set the stickouts, but the flange mounted heads are too bulky so the operators use the tool eye (can not be automated). In my earlier post with the pictures you could see in the 3rd picture the RAH is in the laser getting set, and you could also see the tool eye as well (the closest item in the bottom of the picture) that lifts up with the sensors at the end to touch off your tools.

The table-table machines that we have (Mazak Variaxis) are even easier because there is a ton of room where the laser beam is. On our horizontal 3+2 axis machines we use tooling balls and flats on fixtures for operators to set their stickouts. It's actualy a fairly quick process once you get it right regardless of which machine/RAH combination you may use.

The machines that I program most of the time are very large 5 axis head-table mill-turns so the RAH orientation is not a problem. With the tool changer mounted heads I have room to squueze them under the laser (very tight fit) to set the stickouts, but the flange mounted heads are too bulky so the operators use the tool eye (can not be automated). In my earlier post with the pictures you could see in the 3rd picture the RAH is in the laser getting set, and you could also see the tool eye as well (the closest item in the bottom of the picture) that lifts up with the sensors at the end to touch off your tools.

The table-table machines that we have (Mazak Variaxis) are even easier because there is a ton of room where the laser beam is. On our horizontal 3+2 axis machines we use tooling balls and flats on fixtures for operators to set their stickouts. It's actualy a fairly quick process once you get it right regardless of which machine/RAH combination you may use.

Thanks Rob!