Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Flat Bottom Endmill Vendor?

anyone know where one could find a 1/2" dia carbide endmill with no dish on the bottom for "5axis curve"?

i thought i saw them in a catalog once.......

having trouble searching emastercam for results, thought this would be a good thread/resource if we find vendors.

niagara nope

micro 100 nope

harvey tool nope

mcmaster nope

MSC:Your Search Spanned Multiple Categories

sanvik nope

grainger; i'm not looking through 467 pages one by one

6 .236 R216.T4-06030BAS10N 4 6 54 2.5 0.5 35.50 10 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

8 .315 R216.T4-08030BAS12N 4 8 58 3.5 0.5 45.00 12 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

10 .394 R216.T4-10030CAS14N 4 10 66 4 1 56.00 14 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

12 .472 R216.T4-12030CAS16N 4 12 73 5 1 71.00 16 ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

page d272 in sanvik catalog:

sanvik

practicalmachinist.com gets credit for me double checking sanvik

I don't understand what makes these cutters so special. The corner rad.? I do turn milling on daily basis and I am never concerned about the endmill being flat on the bottom (nowhere does it say that those cutters are flat on bottom anyhow). When turn milling you should never be cutting with the bottom of the cutter, but with the leading edge of your tool. The only thing that you need to make sure is that the cutter has a known rad. so you could enter the correct values into uour CAM software. The turn milling optimization calculator from sandvik will tell you what values to enter. Am I just missing something here?

I don't understand what makes these cutters so special. The corner rad.? I do turn milling on daily basis and I am never concerned about the endmill being flat on the bottom (nowhere does it say that those cutters are flat on bottom anyhow). When turn milling you should never be cutting with the bottom of the cutter, but with the leading edge of your tool. The only thing that you need to make sure is that the cutter has a known rad. so you could enter the correct values into your CAM software. The turn milling optimization calculator from sandvik will tell you what values to enter. Am I just missing something here?

you have a real good point, which may be why others aren't chiming in.

it is not an issue with concave surfaces but it is with convex.

the only big deal, is cases where you must cut on-center (either geometry limitation or if your stuck in the 1990's like me: simplified programming). normal dished cutters would leave surface finish weirdness that verifications will not show, as they ARE based on a flat bottom tool.

as an additional point, with cylindrical or conical surfaces programmed on center line, with a flat bottom tool, one could stepover the full diameter which is impossible in any other method. this in turn can be an improvement in surface finish and cycle time.

having a specific thread on this may help others. case in point there was a recent post that i helped with where the dish was an issue. the questioner was unaware of this.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=66098&st=20

Any tooling shop can modify an endmill to be flat bottom, pick your favorite & send it to a local shop.

I buy from Primary cutter (Supermill) in Berlin CT. As long as you don't need it NOW, they can do it for you (they don't stock flat bottoms). I haven't bought one in a while, but they will customize any of their stock endmills anyway you want.

Give them a call and Bill or Tom (owner) will help you out. Tell them Keith from A-1 sent you.

BTW, They are the only endmills I use, all materials, all applications, all day long.

Still haven't found a better endmill, and I have tried hundreds it seems. They also recondition their endmills and you wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't new.

Great people to work with.

• 1 month later...

anyone know where one could find a 1/2" dia carbide endmill with no dish on the bottom for "5axis curve"?

i thought i saw them in a catalog once.......

having trouble searching emastercam for results, thought this would be a good thread/resource if we find vendors.

niagara nope

micro 100 nope

harvey tool nope

mcmaster nope

MSC:Your Search Spanned Multiple Categories

sanvik nope

grainger; i'm not looking through 467 pages one by one

Try Internal Tool Inc.

Good luck.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Thanks 4 the source! :thumbup:

i didn't see any flat bottoms cataloged, but they could certainly do it on an order basis.(?)

They are there, listed as "N/C Counterbores". The 2012 PDF catalog I'm looking at has them on page 67. They are flat bottomed and center cutting. The size range is 3/32" - 3/4".

Bob

I don't know where your location is, but recently I have been using Fastenal for regrinds. Yes the nut and bolt place. They did some special regrinds on carbide accupro chamfering tools putting an edge on both ends. I'm sure they would do flat bottoms if you asked.

I have only had a use for a flat bottom once and I whipped it out in about 5 minutes with a whirley and a cupped grinding wheel. Was a special size counterbore I used an end mill for.