Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Linking Mastercam to a Database

timbale

Does anyone have any experience linking mastercam to a database? I've recently been tasked with cleaning up our tool lists. I'm trying to make a standard tool list to speed up setup times. What I would like to do is export tool list data into a database? Then with part demand info and tool data, I can get a reasonable idea of what tools I really need to have in my standard tool list based on part demand and frequency. Currently our database is syspro but we may be changing in the future. So first I need to be able to export the data and then get syspro to accept and crunch the numbers. Ideally I would like to export a batch of programs.

You might want to set up crystal reports to link to multiple data sources.... Then you can create scheduled reports to batch export. Once set up, it ran on its own creating live tool libraries. I haven't gone the other way (MCX->SQL)

Just a thought. That's what I did to being in all my cribmaster cribs into mastercam. It was SQL based also.

That's the way I want it work. In my company we have several depts that need similar data for different reasons. I need it to reduce setup cost by standardizing tooling. Accounting needs it so they can charge the tools to the right job. The Inventory guy needs it so he knows how much to stock of each tool.

Todd, how well do you know Crystal report and Cribmaster?

You will need to create and populate a number of custom fields in Cribmaster to include every field in the various tool defs you use, based on if you get your info from material library or not. You then select the cribmaster data sets in CR to create the export file for MCX. setup scheduled exports to update the tool libraries. I updated libraries once an hour. This was for the pre *.tooldb libraries.

But if you use good material libraries, set your tools up right in cribmaster, you can literally have live libraries with very close initial speeds and feeds settings, including stepovers and DOC settings.

Expect it to take six months if you do it right....