Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help roughing with t-slot cutter

John@WMM

Need to rough out an undercut area on a part with a t-slot cutter. What's a good surface toolpath to do this? And while I'm asking whats a good finish toolpath to use for this? Part is attached. Thanks John

I would rough out the basic boss with a 1/2" VariMill, then use the SlotMill and remove the material on the straight part of the wall, finally run a radiused SlotMill finish off the radius on the bottom, I would lastly run a DoveMill to machine the angled undercut. You would also be better off turning this intead of milling, and mill only to square up the base; or Mill-Turn and do it all on one machine.

post-23447-0-51456800-1343026277_thumb.png

gcode: the material is HRS and the tool is K-Tool inserted carbide.

Greyman: this is just a boss on a much larger part so turning isnt an option.

I can finish the undercut area with surface finish contour. I would like to rough with a surface rough or surface high speed but I'm not having much luck...

check out the attached MCX file.

I used the command create/helix to created a centerline spiral for a 6" wheel cutter.

I set the spiral at about 8% of the tool diameter and it gives me an old school dynamic milling toolpath

In this case I'm dropping a saw through a large boss and facing off the back of the boss,

but you could apply the same principle to the undercut you are machining.

My part had 10 bosses like this and the material was HY80. Rather than redo all this geomtery and chaining

10 times I just reset G54 for each boss.

This is the first time I tried someting like this and I was amazed at how well it worked.

The tool was a Ø6" Ingersoll wheel cutter and it cut like butter.

One set of corners did all 10 bosses and still looked new... which means I'l push a little harder next time.

Since you're running a 40 taper machine I think I would go with a 5% step over and 350 to 400 sfm.

You should be able to get pretty aggresive with the feed rate.