Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Feed Optimization

Chris Kozell

I use the high-feed lots. My biggest gripe is with cutter-comp. Sure, I understand that the modual can't be expected to figure out the amount of comp and how the machine uses this info, but I'm only talking about wear-comp. Surely one or two thousanths wont make that much difference.

Sometimes high-feed strips the comp, but I have also experienced some unexpected changes to the tool-path (nci) when using both concurrently.

It becomes a big pain-in-the-A to Unlock/Regen/resize-the-tool/regen/highfeed/post/send-to-machine, and just because you need to take an extra thou off one wall.

quote:

Just smack the tool a bit with a light dead-blow, give 'er some run-out.

I like the way you think Rekd.... biggrin.gif

Hey..... try messing with the feedrate change per block and accelerate toggles. You might get your feeds to smooth out.... I had to mess with everything to get mine to smooth out.

But I'm not running at Mach 10 like you guys do...

Murlin

quote:

try messing with the feedrate change per block and accelerate toggles. You might get your feeds to smooth out

So instead of changin by 20 IPM each block, change less, and more often? Makes sense. I'll give it a go.

BTW, Murlin, it's nice to see how well you've integrated yourself on this forum. GJ and keep the good posts coming! cheers.gif

'Rekd teh Morcheeba: Who Can You Trust

Redk,

The high speed option in the Haas should take care of the speed up and slowing down. Its good to 300 ipm. You will not see a feedrate change on the screen. It just does it.

I was wondering is you had this option or not and if you are are still running the high speed optimize in MC. Any differances ?

finecut ... out in left field

quote:

The high speed option in the Haas should take care of the speed up and slowing down. Its good to 300 ipm. You will not see a feedrate change on the screen. It just does it.

I was wondering is you had this option or not and if you are are still running the high speed optimize in MC. Any differances ?

finecut ... out in left field

I don't have the high speed option on my machines. Only have G187 E.xxxx. Corner rounding control, as they call it. I do use that, but it's nothing like what I need.

On many jobs I do, I have to race around microwave grooves and I get a lot of air cutting.

I have been trying to use the High Feed option in MC to get me thru the 'air' cuts faster. Got some tweaking to do I guess.

'Rekd

Perhaps another thing that could be addressed better is the documentation to make the product a little less scary and a little more user friendly.

When a knowledgeable machinist and MC user such as Rekd is using a .03G setting on a new machine, something is wrong with the documentation.

quote:

When a knowledgeable machinist and MC user such as Rekd is using a .03G setting on a new machine, something is wrong with the documentation.

You got documentation?

I click the '?' then on the text box, it says; "Enter the cornering acceleration. For more information, choose the help button on this dialog box." Ok, no sweat.. 'click'

Message box: "The topic does not exist. Contact your application vendor for an updated Help file. (129)"

Goodie...

'Rekd teh back to the drawing board.

I place the documentation (Hfapp_v8.doc) that I have in ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/Apps_files/

I'm sure Jay will correct/yell-at me if I placed it in the wrong folder.

Even after reading it, there is still a little voo-doo involved in understanding what it will do to your feed-rates, but with a bit of practice you can acheive some amazing and predictible results.

Thanks for the feed back guys. There is documentation in V9. Do a search for HFAPP. Its a doc file about 32 pages long on all the settings in mastercam high feed.

Also, I have used HF with Surf/project/blend and got really nice looking part off a TREE CNC.

[ 08-08-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: chrisk@ShopWare Inc. ]

Surface....

I woulda thought a brand new HASS could cut a 2" dia circle using 200 IPM without any servo overtravel....this is what the Help says to do.

If you use that formula, Highfeed tells you to set the G's for .03. Sounded logical to me.

So, if .03 G's is wrong, then yes, I will agree that more documentation is needed.

Good point....

Murlin

Murlin, you are correct. A Haas should be able to follow a 2 inch coutour @200ipm without any problem. I followed the manual. On my machine, following the instructions, my machine is over-traveling while standing still. Yes, my machine is a peice of .... so, what does that mean to me?

I think what the instuctions should be telling you is, if you want to test your machine, push it untill it is aparent that it is overtraveling. Not tracking a little off.

The instructions don't want to offer any base-numbers, because machines and controls vary so much. But I would imagine on a new Haas, .15-.2G would be in the ballpark.

Rek'd

just a thought here but...

...would it work to set your max air cutting feed rate (in highfeed) above the max feed rate of the machine and modify the post so that, in combination with some safety feature (like a misc integer switch), the post logic would look something like:

if feed > maxfeed, sg0

Might save some air cutting time.

Steve

Rekd,

If your machines are 2000 or better( 98 or better can be upgraded), and yo want to see the high speed in action it is available for 100 hours to play with. after that its $3995 to turn it on permenataly.

Its on the parameters page.It says "high feed".

highlite the "0", hit rt arrow, it will say 1T.

hit enter.

use it for a couple of pgms and see if it helps

Just turn it on at the begining of a pgm and off at the end. You will be impressed. Use high feed loops where possible in your pgms

Remember, its good for 100 hours only

If you buy the option the "1t" will say "1"

Finecut

Ps I tried this on a toolroom mill from Haas.

what was a 25 ipm pgm and started to shake the machine went to 85 ipm. I was stoked. Get a Tree or bridgeport to do that!

CMR,

The option is only good on 2000 + machines. 98's and above need a processor board change. Thats not a bad price either

Think about it. At $4000 it really smoothes out a surface toolpath, along with the time savings.

a 1hr 15 min surface toolpath went down to 46 min

You do the math. compute that kind of percentage over a month for what you run. Your payback is real fast.

Iam not trying to sell the option, but we all talk about losing jobs to other country's let alone other shops. Do the cost savings. We cant keep jobs in this country if we do things with 80's, 90's ect mentality. we all got to work harder, faster and better.

This is just another tool.

Everybody , have a great weekend, and on Monday lets all kick a**.

Finecut

Ok OK

my mistake.

hit emergancy stop

go to settings #7 (parameter lock)

turn it off

go to the parameters page

find "high Speed"

It says 0t its set for trial

highlite the 0t

press 1 then enter

now it will say "1T"