Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High Feed Optimization

Chris Kozell

quote:

my mistake.

hit emergancy stop

go to settings #7 (parameter lock)

turn it off

go to the parameters page

find "high Speed"

It says 0t its set for trial

highlite the 0t

press 1 then enter

now it will say "1T"

go back to the parameters page

turn on the parameter lock

release the emg stop

then reset

Run your heart out

when done go back and turn it off

Man I need a beer

I'll buy the beers!! Thanks finecut! I've got 4 2000 machines and a 2002 machine. I get 500 hours to play!!!!!

'Rekd teh Rum & Coke thirty

OK I'm an idiot.....I get errors when I try to open the HFAPP.doc in Wordpad. I dont have VER 8 installed anymore....only 9.

I don't have MS Office or any other prog's like that......just Wordpad, Notepad and Adobe.

Any Ideas? I would really like to read this Doc.

Murlin

I can open it in notepad but most of it is all a bunch of wierd ASCII characters....

CRapola.....I keep running across these problems where I need a Word Processor....heck I might as well buy one.

At least then you guys would't have to put up with my poor spelling... rolleyes.gif

Murlin teh needs a spell checker anyways...

Finecut, I've tried 3 of the 4 12/2000 machines and they say 0, not 0t. I can't change them to 1 or 1t either typing in or using arrow keys. (arrow keys scroll)

(I haven't powered up the 2k2 one yet, will either tomarrow or Monday.)

Any suggestions?

'Rekd

Let me see here - A fine machine tool that teases the operator into trying out a high speed machining feature for say about 100 hours? Are we listening to this tidbit of information/tripe Haas?

I am enthrawled (sp) with the tryout and test procedure. I am not amused at the means of obtaining such for the like of 4K or otherwise. Here it is boys, just drool & write the cheque; it's called crippleware and it sucks really bad - Shame, Shame!

I am amazed of the marketng ploy and hopefully successful response - perhaps I expect too much or perhaps I am jealous of yet another marketing ploy - personally, this one really bites. frown.gif for what? 4K? - I am disgusted!

cheers.gif Cheers anyways - no slight whatsoever intended for any forum member. smile.gif

Regards, Jack

I dunno, Jack.

I think it's a great idea. In fact, I probably wouldn't buy it if I couldn't try it first. It's like the vortex gun I'll be looking at this week.. If I had to buy one without testing it on MY applications first, I wouldn't even consider it!

I have about 15 different microwave housings that I need to weld prep that I'll be running well into Sept. If the HSM option can reduce my cycle time by even 30%, it will have more than paid for itself in just the course of this run of these 1,500+ parts.

The High Feed option in Mastercam isn't cutting the mustard, (err, chem-film, nickel then silver coatings in this case).

'Rekd teh no harm, no foul

[ 08-09-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Rekd,

Agreed, I cannot fathom crippling a product to gain more dollars, such reminds me of the typical Mircosoft argument. Perhaps I am blinded by real business or even the shrewed business type.

I agree with your comment about Mastercams high speed machining - perhaps Cnc Sofware could examine this argument and pay it forward - who knows, Haas might just have something here.

Bye the way " vortex gun " I hope this is not a WMD. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 08-09-2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

I could swear that the "highfeed" option came standard on the older Haas controls...anybody know? If that is the case, as more people are are getting into highfeed situations these days, they decide to take it off the controls and then sell it back to you....Granted, if it is a valuable feature then it is worth something... I can see that argument, and it is business. But on a prehistoric control like the Haas (where 1MB of memory is an "option", come on!), they could at least make up for some of it's shortfalls ($3000 ethernet card!), by making highfeed standard.

"Yes sir, your new car you just purchased has eight cylinders, if you want to use any more than four cylinders, that will be a 4000$ firmware upgrade on your ignition control module...Now, can I also interst you in a rustproofing option as well? How about the extended warranty on those muffler bearings?...you know they do wear out these days." biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

quote:

Bye the way " vortex gun " I hope this is not a WMD

Depending on if it works or not, it may be a WMD. biggrin.gif

Seriously, it plugs into your air line, and blows the air thru it, which comes out ice-cold on the other end. I can't run coolant on my microwave housings, so I'm gonna try this sucker out.

'Rekd

Rekd.....

Those vortex's are nice little gizmos. They will blow about 30-40% cooler air than the surrounding ambient air temp. They have several diffrent styles.

I know a guy who use them on his power supplies to his EDM's and it keeps the electronics cool enough to operate in the summer heat.

Was thinking of putting a vortex on my control cabnet on one of my machines to make the electronics last longer.

Also seen them used for coolant apps like you are doing. Good luck...

Murlin

Haas has always had a corner rounding option that comes standard with their machines.

Rekd called it G187 which is defined in the program,

I always set it in the settings page. It worked pretty well, but if you were really driving too fast it got jumpy in the corners.

I've never run a Haas with the High Speed option. To my knowledge its always been an additional cost addon.

I think the timed trial license is a good idea.

It gives you a chance to try it before you cough up $4K

quote:

Agreed, I cannot fathom crippling a product to gain more dollars, such reminds me of the typical Mircosoft argument. Perhaps I am blinded by real business or even the shrewed business type.

High-end server vendors have been doing this for a number of years now and it has been very well recived in the marketplace. Purchase a 4-way server with the option to upgrade it to 8-way or 16-way and the vendor will ship you an 8-way or 16-way box with all but four CPUs disabled at a price very close to what a 4-way server would cost. When you need the extra cycles, you can either purchase them (if it's a perminant need) or rent them (for, say, end-of-year processining). By doing this the vendor dosn't have to maintian as many SKUs (one box, many price points) and the customer gets to upgrade when required without having to wait for an engineer to show up with replacement parts. A win-win.

IBM - and maybe some others as well - will even sell you servers that are metered like any other utility. You pay for the CPU time you use as you use it, rather than paying for capasity that only gets used once or twice a month. Imagine paying for a CNC based on how many hours of use it gets and what kinds of code you run in it.

I think there is one important piece of information that is being missed here. Mastercam's HighFeed feature is NOT the same thing as high speed options on controllers.

The high speed controllers use look-ahead to detect sharp (non tangent) moves in the toolpath, and adjust feedrates internally to compensate for the abrupt direction changes. This enables you to program higher feed rates, since the machine slows down on inside corners or sharp turns.

Mastercam's HighFeed is meant to maintain an even load on the tool (chipload). It is set to accelerate feed during smaller cuts, and slow down in heavier cuts. This cannot be done by the machine's controller, since it doesn't know where the stock is and how much material you are currently removing. You could be cutting .5 deep and plowing through solid material, or skimming .05 material radially (still.5 deep.) Your machine does not know the difference, but MC will and can adjust feedrates accordingly.

The time trial on the Haas is available from ver 11 software on. Now here is the problem, If it is turned on it is based on the "ON Time" of the machine. It is not based on spindle time !

So if there is no "T" after a option, its gone.

This trial is also for rigid tap, spindle orentation, scaling/ rotation.

Finecut