Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis threading

Damn I just programmed this thing and realized your on X5. Well anyway, all you have to do is draw the thread un-roled, creat a simple contour and set axis sub roll dia to your minor dia. If you dont do full fourth work, make sure your rotary is setup correctly in your machine def.

Mike

Edit: Rotar dia is not set correctly on this pic or file to get the orientation you need. But you get the idea.

post-18350-0-28528800-1345848194_thumb.jpg

FLAT GEO.MCX-6

JParis,

Very nice. I see what you did and appreciate you taking the the time to help a NEW guy. I do have a question, I followed the calculations that you forwarded but I am getting dif. results: Blue line 45.3897= 1.806(thd minor), x 8 rotations x 4(.250 pitch).

I am getting 57.792. Am I not doing this correctly?

rchipper

No, just did it again, I get the original number

1.806 * 8 = 14.448

14.448 * 3.1416 = 45.3898

In this case you have 8 full rotations of the helix the 1.806 is the minor Ø the 8 is the number of twists, take that value and multiply by "pi" (3.1416) which will give you a straight line length of the helix laid out straight

Is it a rotary or is it an indexer. There IS a difference.

FYI, Haas makes almost no indexers.

there is only one Haas brand model that comes to mind that indexes and it is a comparative monster.

even their lat 80's 5c model could interpolate. did it on a Hitachi with m code triggering the programmable box.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you read the description in all of those "indexers" they are all full rotary, not sure why they call them indexers.

I believe it's actually the "control" until that determines what it is capable of. I think the Tables/Collet are all capable of whatever the end user wants to do, it's just a matter of buying the more capable control unit or the less capable control unit.