Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing Text From ACAD

Bill L.

I am in need of some advise. I am working on a project that requires the parts be engraved with identification letters and numbers. The customer I am working with is providing me files in ACAD format. I have tried some test imports with simple ACAD fonts - romans.shx - looks like the font of choice. My problem, is that the imported parts file is a series of labeled parts already nested on 4' x 8' sheets, and Mastercam sees the indentification letters & numbers as a Font. I have discovered that the engrave toolpath will not see the ACAD letters. Is there a method of exploding the font into geometry so that the engrave toolpath function will work. I have created letters in Mastercam from the Create - Letters command and then analyzed them, and they are broken up into geometry and are not considered as a font.

here is the hot tip fine sir

make sure u have ecpress tools loaded in autocad...this is done by selecting a full install while installing autocad

after full install type expresstools to load the option

there are lots of cool things here... but u need only one right now

select all the text u want (a seperate layer is helpful for this)

under express tools menu there is a command explode text do this

select the text again and explode it again using the regular explode command

dxfout (make sure 0 is the active layer when u dxfout)

import into mastercam anc chain your pants off

ths way no geometry is created and the customer gets exaclty what they drew

bill it is great advice rchoward gave you. It is also a good idead to make sure that you have nothing on the same layer in either mastercam or Autocad so that when you bring it you dont have the possbility having things right on top of each other. So when you want ot trun ofthe layer wit hthe text you can and not have to worry about change layers in Mastercam.

It is always fun when you have to do it exaclty the way they want it.

Crazy Millman