Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rest Rough in Version X's

Andy_Wallis

The rest rough ever since Version 2 is terrible, when the operation has been processed the toolpath is a combination of a waterline and a rest rough, i.e. the toolpath will contour the entire part and take out the corners with the smaller tool.

I have phoned mastercam on multiple occasions and the best answer they give me is "send me a zip2go" - then they don't get back to me, or "it works fine on my computer", which obviously doesn't cure anything. Version 3,4,and 6 has the same problem. We had a 30 day trail of X6 not so long ago, but unless this problem is cured I don't see reason to invest in new software.

Help Guys.............

Regards Andy

I'm Currently using X4 as our trail version of X6 has run out, yes the High Speed rest rough.

I just find this a completely pointless toolpath as I might as well step down in cutters and control the cutter using boundaires. Rather than using the rest rough option which is suppose to save time and be more efficient.

I cant post anything on the FTP site at the moment as my boss has the password, which I will try and get on Monday.

Just wondering if anyone else encounter this issue and-maybe if it could be fixed?????

I use rest rough alot with hi feed and button cutters ... it works very well

I have one job that went from 120 hours roughing and $10 to $15K work of inserts

to 30 hours and one box of Sandivk button inserts.

There is also one called opitrough. ( I don't think it is in X4)

It's like rest rough but you can contol the depth of cut in pocketing and there is a seperate

DOC for the walls

So if you set your main DOC for 1" and your wall DOC at .1 it will make a 1" pocket cut then

waterline the walls at .1 DOC. If you set them both at 1" is will skip the wall waterline cuts.

Both of these toolpaths respect stock models and STL files defined as stock.

Yes your right its not in X4, however when I did have X6 trail version, the opti- toolpaths were very useful, however my PC is no where near as powerful as yours, (Like I said in my previous post I will find out the spec tomorrow) and opti-toolpaths take longer to workout, I cant see my boss investing in X6 until mastercam fix the issue I'm having, being in mouldmaking high speed restrough is extremely beneifical..... or it used to be in version 2 hahahaha

I'm surpised your dealer didn't do more to help you since they want you to upgrade.

There are thousands of guys building molds with X6 ... and building them faster/better/cheaper than they did in X2

also...

If you are building molds and your boss won't invest in a good computer, he doesn't have his priorities straight

While you're sitting there waiting for a toolpath to crunch or his machines are roughing molds using old school

toolpaths, he is leaving money on the table ... a lot of money

I'm not a mold guy, but hopefully some of them will set in and offer their 2 cents