Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Charmilles Machines techno geek help.

Chad 73

Hey, I haven't been here in a long time. Alot has changed. For know i could use some techno help please. We have several EDM machines that use the OLD 3.5" 720 kb formating. Yes i said 720 kb not 1.44mb most people are familiar to. Well the drives are starting to die and tehy seem to be hard to find replacements for. Does anyone know why it has to be a 720kb drive? Will a 1.44Mb drive work in it's place? or does the machine need to be configured specially for the 1.44Mb. Anyone with computer hardware knowledle please chim in and offer your two cents.

Thanks!!

Chad

• 1 month later...

Hi

Buy Floppy to usb converters from here and forget floppy drives for ever. They work

720 kb Double Density Charmilles Floppy to usb converter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290688410091?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

1.44 mb Charmilles Floppy to usb converter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300700338134?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Regards

That's all well and good. But you then need to get the software on the disks onto Usb. It's not that simple or so I was told by charmilles.

As regards to the drive yes there is jumpers at the back. Even if you buy one from charmilles you will have to set the jumpers.

it's in 720 format because machine manufacturers weren't fussed by the latest technology then got stuck in a rut because of having to upgrade all existing machines.