Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-Turret Lathes

Favorite Multi-Turret Lathe  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Multi-Turret Lathe

JParis, I have crossed trained MANY people on the OSP that had fanuc/mazatrol or even no experience successfully in a day. If you can run a machine, you can run a machine with an OSP control. I do work for an Okuma dealer now, but I ran Okumas, Mazaks, Moris, and whatever else prior. I just want to see what everybody thinks about these products.

• Like 1

I voted Mazak because of the Multiplex. Not because I think it's the "best" multi turret lathe, but because it's probably the easiest to get running for people moving from a single turret lathe. It really is just two single turret lathes with a wall between them. If you ask almost any shop owner what they hate most about fancy multi tasking xxxx, it's finding people that can get one set up and running in a reasonable amount of time.

Hi Joe,

To reduce your set-up time on these machines, it might be wise to look at modular tooling. Quick change jaws and also download your offsets (geometery and wear). If any tool is broke down such as drills and taps you could make sure the lenght of those tools are recorded and give instuctions as to the tolerance allowed if reset up and then touch those tools off that are broke down. Your programming department or a qualified individual, then could attach the offsets that are downloaded to the program, after the M30 or M99. This would be in a from of a G10 listed that the machine will read on the next set-up. We have done this on a few of our machines here. The first run was always slow proving clearances and timing of turrets (12 hrs) but, after we captured the set-up data any operator qualified to run the machine could follow the set-up data and the machine was cutting chips within 1.5 to 2 hrs and without scrapping the part. What we found was if the job warranted going to these machines it also warranted more control in the set-up and capturing the data. This machines we really need to look at how to reduce set-up time more closely. Once set up they can out preform and reduce lead time thru out the shop.

As to the question of running one turret then the other, yes you can do that on he first piece however, run the second with the same amount of detail. becuase I have see these machine crash because the operator switched the rapid over ride from 25% to 100%. What they thought was going to be enough clearance between the two turrets was at 25%.

Again this is why we document.

Jerry