Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Profiling a radius with back side of key cutter

pwolfe

I have a boss extruding from a wall. It is down inside a part no other way to get to it but with a key cutter style tool. I need to profile a concave radius on the underside of the boss. Mastercam wants to machine a convex radius, putting the cutter on the wrong side of radius, coming thru part not on the inside.

You need to change your surface normal, it's under the edit tab at the top of the screen then when that menu opens it's at the bottom of that menu.

I use surface finish flow line.

If you can control how the tool will move on the surface in the flowline button.

Click on Step direction and make the tool start at the bottom of the part.

If your toolpath is on the wrong side click the offset button.

• Like 1

The keyway cutter WILL work. No custom tool is needed. If the geometry is circular and consistant in size throughout it's path, FLOWLINE is the ticket. Surface normals must be correct. Use the directional controls to lead-in and lead-out. The keyway cutter will cut with both sides of the cutter without shifting geometry or doing any wierd mathamajical calculations. If only the leading edge of the cutter will do it, something else is wrong.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Late to the game here, but:

Check your surface normal. Edit > Set Normal.

Surface finish contour (or rough, they are the same) and flowline are the only toolpaths to support undercuts. Contour has fantastic control for extending the toolpath and lead-in's and outs. Also if needed, use the advanced settings button and select roll tool "only between surface edges".

hth

Late to the game here, but:

Check your surface normal. Edit > Set Normal.

Surface finish contour (or rough, they are the same) and flowline are the only toolpaths to support undercuts. Contour has fantastic control for extending the toolpath and lead-in's and outs. Also if needed, use the advanced settings button and select roll tool "only between surface edges".

hth

I just did a part where I has to surface the underside of a flange with a full radius keycutter. I tried different toopaths, and had the best luck using morph between curves set to 3 axis.

• Like 1