Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Valenite Plunge Mill

robk

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding one of those... The problem is that I don't have any info on it. All I have is the part # on the tool itself which is TC+ 027 3xD 216.56.327 OD. I do not have any catalogs for speeds or feeds or stepovers for the plunge application, and their website is getting updated. I have 2 grades of inserts (415 & SV415) to play with. The material to be cut is 420SS. The horspower on the machine is no problem. We have had the tool in here for about a year, but never used it yet. Now one guy is on vacation so there is an open machine to try it on. Any tech. info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance cheers.gif

Rob

[ 08-21-2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: robk ]

Robb I would try a feed rate of about .005 to .008 per tooth per rev. Depending on your machine may have to do the FEEd per inch on the Rpm you use. Since you are doing 420 SS I would start at about 220 SFM and work up fromthere probaly very slow but can always kick it up I might start at like 420 SFm but I am crazy like that. i would problay shoot for something like 55-85% ingagement on the tool to be eefective i think if you go less that 50% mihgt give you some chatter problem and with the 15% to 45% step over if you dont have through the spindle coolant will help for chip evacuation.

It may also be good to do like a pecking cycle with the tool if not using through the spindle coolant to keep the material from work harding and from buliding up heat. Just some things to think about is all.

Crazy Millman

Millman^crazy,

Thanks for the reply, and the tips. I believe we both are on about the same leve here. Here is where I stand right now... I don't think you're crazy at all for thinking 420SFM. I started with 450 SFM @ .005 FPT. I ended up with about 80% stepover rate just to keep the scallop reasonable. The tool cut fairly nice, but pretty time consuming. If the pocket was smaller or the dia. of the cutter was bigger things would be different, but this is all I've had from Valenite and just wanted to give it a shot.... Still sticking to my Iscar Feed Mill---2.5 Dia moving 589 SFM with .020 FPT (5 flute) @ .072 DOC. This baby flies. smile.gif

Rob