Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

feed rates, tips on machining 5083

swarf rat

It's not far off 6061. Keep coolant on your tool or the tool will gald up quickly. That chit it pretty gummy, so for a 1/2" endmill I'd just start at 10,000RPM and 100 IPM and go from there. I always machine by ear though so I always start there on everything softer than steel.

I have to respectfully disagree with the "gummy" part. We have an ongoing job with 5083 plate, and to me it machines similar to Mic 6. Other than that settings for 6061 work fine.

can anyone give me a rough starting point on feed rates, tooling on machining 5083 alum? stock base is .50 thk. thanks for any help..

You did not say what kind of machining are you going to do but just use enough coolant and the machine will propably set you limits to feeds and speeds.

Well mic-6 is actually softer and gummier than the 6061

In 6061 i go at 10000rpm and 160 ipm full slotting. With 3fl em

Depth of cut depends on length of the cutter and varies anywhere from .5" for stubby to .25" for 2" long 3fl Niagara hi-helix HPEM

this should be pretty safe for start http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=fswizard&shell_id=199&load_tool_id=53963

Well mic-6 is actually softer and gummier than the 6061

In 6061 i go at 10000rpm and 160 ipm full slotting. With 3fl em

Depth of cut depends on length of the cutter and varies anywhere from .5" for stubby to .25" for 2" long 3fl Niagara hi-helix HPEM

this should be pretty safe for start http://zero-divide.n...d_tool_id=53963

Whoops. I stand corrected, Mic 6 is softer.