Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Sweep

Rotary Ninja

Sounds like the profile is not flat to a plane. Profile = shape to sweep, path... well thats self explanatory. You can't use a potato chip shaped profile in MC, it must be flat. Also make sure that the path does not bend sharper than the profile will allow without caving in on it self. A 90. deg turn in the path will almost guaranty failure. When you first start the sweep command, in the ribbon bar you'll have 4 options to control the chaining type. Select 4 rails. You'll need 2 profile chains, and 2 path chains. Both profiles will need to touch the paths. This almost never works for me on the first try (X4), don't know why either. In between profile selections, use the blue button between profiles to end the selection. Once you have completed the Across chains, green check mark, then repeat for the along chains. Depending on what your after, the loft command may be a better option for morphing different profiles. Need a pic or upload a file for more specific help.

A couple of simple sweeps here. These were not 4 rails though.

http://www.emasterca...showtopic=39198

MastercamsSolid sweep can only use two chains. One across and one along, meaning you can not "change the shape along the path". You can do it with surfaces, but not solids.

WIth that being said, he can create his base solid, then create a sweep surface that intersects his solid and use the trim solid to surface feature. Might take some tweaking dimensionally or adjusting the position of the surface but it has worked for me.

My bad Ninja. I was reciting from memory. You can still use the surface function. Make sure to make water tight surfaces, turn them into a solid , then boolean remove. Note that in the example I posted, the path is not touching the profile but is normal to it (perpendicular). No X6 here, but the trim solid to surface function sounds like a winner.

• 1 month later...

So the only way to change a shape while sweeping a bend is to use surfaces?

I am trying to cut a shape into an extruded solid right now and having trouble. The path is a straight line that blends into a large radius and then into a straight line again, and the shape that needs to be swept is a circle that turns into a smaller dia. circle gradually.

• 4 weeks later...

Something interesting from the Mastercam Help file for swept solids when it comes to multiple section chains.

The Sweep operation can have more than one section chain only if there is an outermost chain that defines a closed boundary around the other chains and all of the nested chains are in the same plane. The chains that are nested within this boundary form cutouts in the solid.

In the pictures below chaining the blue and green circle create a tube. (The orange partial chain is the path). Chaining all three circles create a tube with a second solid (a shaft) in the middle of the tube. Note the three circles are nested and in the same plane. The blue circle is the section chain that "is an outermost chain that defines a closed boundary around the other chains."

post-23209-0-72024200-1361722856_thumb.png

post-23209-0-02350100-1361722868_thumb.png

Kevin, That is why I made the post above. The Mastercam help I quoted says it all when it comes to having two or more section chains along a path. I didn't fully understand what it meant until I started playing around with it. The file I used was actually for a swept surface that changes shape from one end to the other.

post-23209-0-22778500-1361725374_thumb.png

Sorry for the confusion from my last post. My last reply was done with swept surface. It cannot be made with Mastercam solids. I was just pointing out that explanation from the Mastercam help files as it explains why it cannot be done. I thought it would be helpful for others that might come across this thread later.