Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

live tooling lathe question

Bill Henderson

I am not a lathe guy and our lathe programmer is fairly new to MC.

He is using a HAAS.

If I have a critical timed point on a thread and it is timed dimensionally to a flat on the part can this be achieved in MC? or the HAAS for that matter.

He seems to think the threading starts at a dimension he gives it regardless of spindle orientation.

Thanks for any input.

post-5528-0-72668400-1354717456_thumb.png

Yes on a live tooling lathe.

I agree the mill is better.

The tolerance is a length from a datum to a point on the thread at a given angle.

Military application is all I can say.

My image shows a gage we are trying to make to check our part before sending it in for qualification.

The gage used by the customer is the only one they have and about 20K plus 8 wks for one to be made.

ah, i see, military doing the usual knuckle headed 10x precision on gauging, which is at least twice as difficult as it needs to be.

I've seen this before.

:realmad:

sounds like you got a vendor issue. thread grinding seems to be the way to go.

c-axis interpolating that flat on the haas would be pretty sketchy; it is not made for precision. if you wanna make some fastener hexes fine, but not much more.