Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Faceting In solids

Goosehnter

We are often required to machine solids originating from our engineering Department. We are constantly having issues with convex or concave portions of a solid coming into Mastercam being faceted. The radius is actually a series of flats. So consequently, when tool paths are put on the solid, the resulting surface of the machined part is a series of flats which represents a very unsatisfactory finish.

I have tried a number of things, such as importing the solid in a number of different formats. Nothing seems to make any difference. The only thing I have found that works is creating edge curves on a different level, breaking them into 5000 pieces, and creating surfaces to machine. That’s the only way I have found around it, and certainly is not keeping the integrity of the solid model that engineering wants the machined part to represent.

So, anyone ever run into this problem and figure out an easy solution?

I appreciate the help!

A few years back I had some issues with cad files from Solidworks and it was caused by a setting in Solidworks called "draft quality" HLR/HLV Our engineering department had this set at low quality in Solidworks to save server space. Because of this I was getting low quality files when I would inport...