Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need some things explained

BNFab

Hello,

I am doing my best to pick up Mastercam as I go. I took an online class to get me started.. I feel as if i have a decent grasp on the basics. 2d stuff, profiling, etc. I get totally lost when it comes working with solids (making them) and the more complex '3d' parts... I was playing around today trying to figure out some simple "3d" paths (i dont think it is 3d, but I had to choose 3d in order for mastercam to move in z to cut this part..

Basically the little 'part' is a radius in a square block.. I drew a square in top view, put a radius in the part, then I moved to front view (in a horizontal) so I would be moving in X and Z to cut the radius.. Is this even a 3d cut or just a different 2d? Now I tried to use the surface rough - parallel option (there are so many options I have no idea wtf??) . I actually got it to produce a path that looked OK, though I feel like I got lucky in how I got there.. I do not understand what check and drive surfaces are. What I was hoping to do is just go in with a regular flat endmill, rough it out and 'stair step' the profile, leaving enough finish material. Then come in with a ball endmill and finish the profile..

I do not know if this made any sense but does anyone have any tips for me? Maybe somwhere I could find some tutorials? I guess I wouldn't mind paying for another class, at this point I am not working as a programmer but I hope to get there. I just like to play around and try and learn it.

Sounds like your trying to do way to much way to fast

Trying surface milling when your having trouble building solids

Books are an inexpensive great start

There are books on design solids milling lathe and on and on

I would suggest getting familiar with drawing before attempting tool paths

Doing too much too fast.. Yeah that would not surprise me..

Well the first class taught basic geometry drawing and a little bit into solids. Though I do not know how to draw up 'complex' geometries.. Would you recommend a good book for mastercam? Perhaps online tutorials?

I did take mastercamu through a local school, but I do not think they offer anything other than the introduction class..

My rule is always use 2d toolpaths when ever possible.

Drive surfaces are the areas you want to cut, check surfaces are the areas you do not want the cutter to touch.

This place is a great place to start and you can always post a file and somebody would be glad to help you.

Good luck.

Hello BNFab,

We sell some materials that might be of use to you. Check out the free sample PDFs at this link: http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=82

Those free samples will let you know what sort of topics are covered in each of our books, along with a sample chapter that shows you how we approach the material. These books are available in both print and PDF format. The print books are black and white (the samples are full colour because they're based on the eBook version), but the Mill level 1, Mill level 3, Lathe, and Intro to Multiaxis training tutorials come with free video training CDs in addition to the book and the Mastercam X6 Home Learning Edition/Demo software. The PDF books don't come with videos but they're full-colour and you can download the X6 HLE from this website after buying them.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent. I was actually going to say...

The surfacing toolpaths are a little tough to learn initially. But once you get a few things down they start to make sense. Trial an error is a good way to figure things out. Change one thing at a time. Regenerate and backplot/verify and see what your change did. Don't change more than one thing at a time until you are familiar with the various settings.

On any page in a dialog window in Mastercam is this very useful little button that looks like this... "?". Click this question mark in whatever window you are in. When the help window opens you will notice a tab labeled "Field Definitions". Open that tab. This is very helpful in understanding what all of the features do in whatever window you have open. This is how I figured out things in the beginning. I have never used the help files in any program very much. But Mastercam's Help is put together VERY well. Kudos to whoever was in charge of this.

You are on the right path purchasing a couple books. The two I bought are well worth the money. eApprentice also has a cool thing going with their membership videos section. I highly recommend you check it out. That and just ask on here. If you need an example of how to do something there are people, including myself, that love to help out.

Oh an Welcome to eMastercam!