Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

through spindle coolant questions

We have two machines here with this option and have been given green light to order tool holders to take advantage of it. What should I be looking for? like what is the difference between din a and din b? I have had pretty good luck running collet chucks with thru spindle coolant and standard drills (pushes coolant right around tool). do we need special pull studs (w/hole thru)? I know we have coolant at the flange but am not sure if it runs thru the stud too. any thoughts and advise would be helpfull.

thanks

Doug

If your TSC comes through the flange then you're going to be looking for DIN B. One thing you will certainly want is a holder where the DIN B holes can be plugged with a set screw. This is how all Big Kaiser Holders are setup. If say a couple years down the road you add a machine with coolant through the pullstud instead of flange you will need to plug the flange holes in the holder with the set screw. If you can't plug the holes you'll be SOL and buying more holders.

Kaiser makes a nice holder, however I do not like having to stock a bunch of o-rings to "seal" the holder. PITA in my opinion. For solid carbide drills I would take a serious look at heat shrink, Haimer preferably. The runout is unbeatable. You can also use the heat shrink with coolant grooves for solid carbide endmills. This way you can flush high pressure coolant right down the shank of the tool. For ferrous applications you could also setup a thru tool air/oil mist type deal for cutting "dry".

If you're looking for more of a collet type setup I would take a good hard look at NT tool. They have a system called FDC I believe. It's similar to ER but a bit slimmer in most apps and nicer. In this series of holders they have regular collets, sealed collets for you TSC tools, and cooalnt groove collets for flushing around the tool shank. They will custom make holders for your specific application with set screws in your DIN B holes if you ask.

Another option would be to use Lyndex sealed ER collets in you existing ER holders.