Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic multi-axis milling

AlbertZini

http://www.mmsonline...blisk-machining

Not a impeller but a blisk.

From the link: "Machine tool supplier Mag-IAS produced this video to illustrate an efficient approach to titanium blisk production."

Yikes, if that was an "efficient approach", I'd hate to see an inefficient approach. :turned:

hmm, 4 tool changes per roughed vane....

seems like you could end up in a similar roughed-state with the part rotated 90°, reaching in from the face. 3-4 tool changes for a complete roughed part (not that you could actually get that much tool life in Ti). I've never done a blisk, but that would be my first inclination.

Joe, why do you say that? what materials do you cut on a daily basis?

We cut a wide range of stuff. For dynamic milling with such a short tool, and fancy cryogenic cooling, I would have assumed they'd be getting after quite a bit harder than that in Ti. The longer tools looked pretty good though.

Yeah that is pretty good Video and I would look to it as a good example of how to approach something using the 3 technologies they were using. Remember machine tool builders are always going to give a good show. You could have maybe got away with a 3+2 approach, but for a demo it is very well done IMHO.