Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rego-Fix tool holders

We recently bought an Okuma 5X horizontal that comes with an HSK-125 spindle.

There are very few sources for this size tool holder.

Sandvik makes HSK 125 Capto adapters and I'v purchases some of them.

Now I'm looking for Capto endmill holders and came across the Rego-Fix Powergrip system

http://www.rego-fix.com/pdf/powrgrip.pdf

They look pretty good for tools up to Ø1"

Is anybody out there using these.. if so, how do you like them

We're also looking at the Haimer tools

They have a line of face mill and ER collet holders and a really nice line of heavy duty

shrink fit holders. The heating unit for the heavy duty tool holders lists at $40K LOL

I've seen mixed reviews of the powergrip system. From what I gather you must pay close attention to how much of the tool shank is swallowed in the holder. Too little shank inside the collet and you'll have pull out issues. Another thing to consider is what tolerance the shank of the tool is and whether it is a ground finish with a light texture or polished. If the shank is polished there is not quite as much friction to retain the tool.

I have similar a style holder with a similar collet. One thing I always run into is having to cut off the shank of a long tool. If the tool shank is very long and you don't cut the shank it will bottom out in the collet and you'll have excessive length hanging out.

I saw an article from Rego about a new secure grip holder. You may want to contact Rego about this as it may offer a bit more process security which I would certainly think you would want. Bottom line with Rego- they are a good system for the right fit. You need to get some in your hands and see if that fit is you.

I have a few Haimer holders and they are simply top notch. Harmonics are a little different than running other holders but nothing crazy.

I would contact NT Tool and see if they make HSK 125 stuff. I know they do a ton of custom holders and might make specifically what you need.

Also for the heavy roughing stuff- Big Kaiser mill chucks. http://www.bigkaiser.com/news/release-2012-march-hsk-a125.php

TK

Thanks..

I've seen the Big Kaiser links.

That Press Release is a year old and they still don't have any links on their website.

My local rep says they are build to order for HSK 125.

I emailed them anyway.. but no reply yet.

As near as I can tell Sandvik and Haimer are the only ones who actually have inventory.

I had it at ADEX and it is sweet. You do have to play close attention when ordering tools about how much will be in the collet and or how much to cut off to acquire to desired hangout. Really fast load and unload time, great run out, and really solid system IMO. Tools are guaranteed for 5 years too.

G--while we demoed the Rego-Fix system we didn't think the cost justified the advantage over the system we were using. I would put a plug in for PH Horn and the Fahrion system. No rocket science, just tight tolerance quality. We are using their ER-32 size and when the guy at IMTS "guaranteed" me I wouldn't pull a tool out of his holder, he wasn't lying. We are all 40 taper so small stuff, and they currently only catalog up to HSK-A100, but they have been expanding the line.

Maybe once you get that big it loses it's advantage, I don't know. But if you have any pull out or runout problems in your smaller stuff I can say they work well.

Dear GCode,

Please allow me to introduce myself - my name is Nicholas J. Korfias, and I am the OEM Account / Product Development Manager for REGO - FIX Tool Corp. I am not a salesperson - my responsibilities involve the support of our products at OEM Machine Tool Manufacturer's facilities, throughout North America. I'd like to address a few key issues, regarding your questions about our " powRgrip " tooling system. First, the " powRgrip " system is a mechanical that utilizes a precision locking taper between the tool holder and the collet. Cutting tools are pressed into place under massive force, to a dead stop / shoulder on the collet, within 10 seconds. This insures that both the tool holder and the collet material always remain in the " Elastic " range of the material, never surpassing the " Yield Strength " point of either material, which can cause " Plastic Deformation. " This is unlike most shrink - fit tooling systems, where the physical nature of the " Hot Die Steel " material is employed to grip the tool. Overheated / overstressed tools are often " Plastically Deformed ", and cannot be successfully re - used. There are 5 die - sets / tool holder / collet system sizes -I.D. ranges, all operated by the same machine. The computerized hydraulic press is standard 110v, and precisely identifies what die - set / tool holder / collet size combination has been inserted - exact pressure is used to press / extract tools, eliminating the opportunity for error. The system accomodates from .2 mm - 1.0 " cutting tool shank diameters. Precise toleranced cutting tool shanks, and cleanliness are the major factors in the success of the system. The newest addition to " powRgrip " is our " secuRgrip " system. This features a treaded powRgrip collet I.D., a threaded insert, and a locking cap. The insert fits into the " Weldon Flat " of any standard weldon shank cutting tool, the tool is screwed into the collet, the collet is pressed into the tool holder, and the cap is fixed to form an absolutely secure system, eliminating " Pull-Out Effect",

while running gauling materials such as aluminum, and hi - nickel based aerospace alloys such as

Titanium / Inconel / Stainless alloys.

We manufacture HSKA-125 tool holders as a standard, however they are only available in our

PG32 size powRgrip tools. Please feel free to contact me at any time to discuss your applications.

Thank You For This Opportunity To Serve You !!!

Nicholas J. Korfias

OEM Account / Product Development Manager

REGO - FIX Tool Corp.

Cl ( 815 ) 814 - 1456

[email protected]

Nick just called..

You can use the securGrip collets in the old powRgrip holders without the nut

or buy the new holders that have the OD threaded for the retaining nut.

The only downside I can see to this is that balancing would be a little more work

in high rpm applications ... but the machine I'm tooling up only goes to 4500 rpm

so that's not an issue.

I've used them before and personally I did not expereince any pull-out. Then again, with the types of toolpaths I use, ER style holders do well.

They are an excellent alternative to shrink-fit but require a little more TLC when building a tool assembly. Cleanliness is paramount, though I'm pretty anal about how I assemble my ER holders so I did not treat the PowrGrips much differently in assembly and had no issues. The only difference how I treated the ER's vs. how I treated the PowrGrips was in ER's I clean everything then put a light coating of oil before assembly, and the PowrGrips I just cleaned everything with alcohol before assembly.

They are a reccommended buy in my book FWIW.