Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there an easy way to check for open chains?

oz

I have an engineer that has provided a DWG file of a topographical map of a city with thousands of "buildings" to be machined out. The method of doing this will be to pocket each height layer. However not all the chains are closed. To go through and check every chain on every layer will be extremely time consuming. I tried to talk to the engineer and explain, however there is a huge language barrier. Is there a c-hook or anything that will show all open chains??? I have already done the find overlap and duplicate chains and these all came out clean. It's just that not all chains are closed. Any help would be appreciated.

yes,

do this

make a dummy toolpath

toolpath

contour

chaining options

set to open chains only

green check mark

set chaining to window

put a window around the part

it will only select the open chains

set comp to off and no lead in out

once it is done you can select the display only associative geometry in the op manager

this will show you all the open chains

hope that helps

• Like 3

Great tip ajmer!

I might add that if you have the X+ add-ins installed, there is a Chook "chainit.dll" that allows you use the chaining dialog box (without toolpaths) for preselection of geometry, eliminating the need to go the whole contour toolpath, display only associative geometry etc....route.

JM2C

For X6 you can download it here:

http://gmccs.de/?page=downloads.php&dl_grp=8&pt=X%2B+Tool+Downloads

Just make sure you get the english version, unless german is your thing

Once installed you have to execute it by looking in "C:\Program Files\mcamx6\chooks\X+"

Take a look at some of the other tools that come with it, they can become quite useful.

My favorite is rename nci.