Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Lathe Spindle Directions

dan m

Well I wish him luck on the corporate thing we just went through that with a product I have designed. Still waiting for the shoe to drop on that.

I was niether upset or made mad about his comments just felt there is always many ways to get a point across there is the direct way there is the indirect way. It is always easy to jump on a point that is negative verses one that is postive in the ideas that a person has. I merly pointed out a statment to his statement. In no way did I imply that he's wrong to do it a certain way.

I was in that 10 percent that used left hand tools but I also found that when doing production runs that envloved right hand threads and I always liked cutting them from front to back not back to front it would keep from changing spindle speeds since I ran it balls to the wall smoking and belling the machine point I always ran people out of the building. It is not a scary thought just one of them things you see like people who still only run Highspeed tooling in CNC mills. I might get people who only do this to think about doing it differently by showing them a better way not a way that pushs it to the point of scracism.

Again just my 2 cents worth

Crazy Millman

My apologies for sounding dumb. The original post asked about the difference between left hand and right hand tools, and having to reverse the spindle direction. I (correctly) stated the difference between the tools. It is a no-brainer that if you use L/H instead of R/H holders, you can substitute the tools for each other, by reversing the spindle direction. That was not in the original question, however.

I presumed that the poster was a lathe newbie and asked for an explanation between left hand and right hand tools only.

Dan M had in his post this comment:

quote:

If anyone could shed some light on this subject I would appreciate it.

So Peter we took it as he was asking in such a way as to what we thought was good either or and what we did was to point out good reasons for either way or it was attempted by me. I just felt like it was not needed to do so in a negative way for explainations and refering to things that go on with such points as to possible be picked up by some people as not pleasant.

Crazy millman

Quote:

I have to laugh at this topic, as this was a great issue for us in the last 3 years

Grant,

It went back further than that. They were arguing about it before you were a twinkle in your Production Managers in tray smile.gif Well, at least that would be about 10 odd years ago.

I can recall arguing with an old supervisor, and his bearded plant engineer (hehe...we know the one) about the merits of either tool mounting. One thing I always found interesting, was that the steady rollers didn't suffer from "chip insertion" any where near as much when the tools were inverted (running M03). I guess gravity took care of it.

FWIW, My personal preference is to run tools inverted (ie, run M03)

Cheers,

Mick

Peter,

I'm not a newbie at this i've been doing it for 16 years. Everywhere I ever worked we used right handed tools and I never gave much thought to switching to left handed tools. When the question of switching to left handed came up i could not think of a reason why not but i figured the right handed tools were forward and left handed were reversed and there had to be a reason for it. With all the wisdom in this forum and no one where i work having a thought why this was i figured i would post the question here and get some intelligent responses on it which i did. I appreciate everyones input on this subject.

Dan