Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sealing your machines

brandon b

Since I started working at this shop Ive been struggling to find a product that will Last. Our machines leak coolant everywhere. I spend countless hours scrubbing and cleaning old sealant out, too shoot new caulking in.It never last more than a few weeks. Ive tried every brand our local supply house carries.

We dont have chip conveyors so the guys just pull chips back with rake we made out of sheet metal. And shovel it out into barrels. The rake and shovels just tear up the caulking type sealant.

Im looking for something that has the strength to hold up to the abuse.

I know it sounds out there, but has anyone sprayed a truck bed liner over all the seams? You can buy it in a can or a roll on from auto parts stores.

I think it would hold up pretty well.. Just as long as I take my time and prepping the metal so the liner bonds.

Im almost at the point of just welding all the side panels on and worry about later if Ive ever gotta take em off. haha

I work for a rebuilding company. we use loctite No. 2. it is awesome! we call it aviation soon as you put it on you're good to go. it doesn't "dry" out and is made to be this specific environment. otherwise RTV black works ok as well.

Another thought is to change your coolant. Some are much more friendly to sealants. We changed coolants in a previous shop once. Not a single leak worth mentioning to all machines leaking like a dried out wooden gutter barrel in a matter of a week. Not an easy fix, but something to consider.

Gutter sealant has seemed to work best. But I have found with application of any sealant that you really need to pull the joints apart and get a thin bead in the opening, then bolt tight and let rest for at least 24 hours before letting her rip. Thinner and tighter the gap, and the lesser amount of sealant you use typically it will last the longest. Being inside the joint it is not susceptible to people flexing the sealant and putting holes in it which just just oil under it and cause failures at an exponential rate.

Husker

That's the ideal thing to do. Its tough to have a machine down for a few days if your going to do it right.

I cleaned,sanded,preped on Friday morning. Then shot gutter sealant that afternoon. Then went in sat. Morning and rolled a truck bed liner over all the seams. I'll see tomorrow how it turned out