Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

router vs ultrasonic

The company I work with is cutting honeycomb panel for commercial aircraft. We use router ( Thermwood ) and Mastercam mill to do a job. The result is not bad but we try to seek a new way to improve. Then my manager came up with idea about ultrasonic cutting machine may do the trick. Is that will be possible?

Thank you.

I like freezing water in it and machining it while it's a frozen block. Done that on a few parts last year. Back in the day, I used wax a couple of times but the residue was challenging to remove.

What's that metal that has the low melting point that does the same thing. like you can melt it in hot water and pour into cavities. being a router I'm picturing something with feet of travel. But no I have never heard of a ultrasonic being used for heavy material removal.

What's that metal that has the low melting point that does the same thing. like you can melt it in hot water and pour into cavities. being a router I'm picturing something with feet of travel. But no I have never heard of a ultrasonic being used for heavy material removal.

alloy of bismuth ( maybe with antimony).....

"woods metals" must be just another marketing gimmick to co-op the periodic table.

always wanted to try it

The melting point of antimony is 630.74°C, so nevermind on that element.

Edited by mkd

The company I work with is cutting honeycomb panel for commercial aircraft. We use router ( Thermwood ) and Mastercam mill to do a job. The result is not bad but we try to seek a new way to improve. Then my manager came up with idea about ultrasonic cutting machine may do the trick. Is that will be possible?

Thank you.

sounds like a typical manager...coming up with THE ideas (that never work)

the problem with honeycomb is not being able to cut it. Like James said it is being able to hold it.

there are flat frozen chuck products on the market. the idea is you mist/spray a light coating on water droplets on the chuck, position your part, flip the freeze switch and the part sticks.

works like a vacuum chuck but without the 50 million cubic feet per second required to hold honeycomb. :harhar:

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've heard waterjet is the cat's pajamas for honeycomb, provided you can get your shape.

provided you don't have to face thickness and it is a metal honeycomb.

phenolic coated paper honeycomb that i program regularly would not take kindly to torrents of water. BTW the dust smell fabulous. (yes i just said fabulous :laughing: )

5axis machining of honeycomb can be a little challenging in how to approach without pushing material.

Be careful if you are cutting parts for Boeing. I worked in the Interiors Responsibility Center at Boeing, doing 3 and 5 Axis programs cutting composite panels (honeycomb paper core, with fiberglass or carbon fiber skins). The process you use must be approved before the parts are allowed to fly.

You mentioned "seeking ways to improve". Are you using Vacuum tables and Vacuum fixtures for your 3 and 5 axis machining? Honestly that is the best way to go with both the flat panels and the complex contoured panels (5X). Once you go that route, its about investing in solid, accurate machines, and the right kind of cutting tools. What kind of tools are you using to trim the panel edges? Do they have down draft flutes for the top skin and updraft flutes for the bottom (sometimes called a "compression" cutter because it helps prevent delamination).

Besides trimming the outsides of the panels, are you also putting in pockets and insert holes? What are your processes for that?