Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface flow directions

DavidB

Can I change flow parameters of individual surfaces in MC?

I'm trying to do a Mutli surface toolpath and keep getting flow errors. I'm trying to machine this with a multi axis 4-axis output with no luck.

Please look at he attached picture you will see the flow parameters go in different directions.

I can't seem to be able to change the individual surfaces just all of them together.

post-5191-0-68156600-1373353537_thumb.jpg

Hi David,

As Rick mentioned, Mold Plus has some tools for changing UV directions of a surface. Instead of "Classic" Multi-surface, I would use "cuts along curve". Create a straight line along your rotary (X?) axis, and the cuts will be orthogonal to that curve. This gets rid of needing the Flow Directions completely, and will give you a much cleaner toolpath. Plus, you have the option of using Spiral, if you want to avoid a witness mark at the step over position. The "collision control" features will allow you to compensate to the surfaces by adjusting the tool position along the tool axis to maintain tangency with your surfaces.

Can you share a file? Just the surface geometry?

Thanks,

Colin

Thanks guys

Here is the latest file MC6 zip2go.

The red surface at the end of the key shape is NOT parallel to the rotary axis. So when the tool retracts and tries to go around to the next slice, I'm getting big Y-axis moves.

How can I get the Y-axsis to stay at Y zero? I'm getting huge Y-axis values in my posted code.

I have shortened the last toolpath to just do the problem area. If someone could help me that would be great.

Cheers Dave

PA10-AGMR-1_ASSEMBLY_REVISED_RAD1.Z2G

Dave, if you switch to 5 axis output format on the tool axis control page, for "tool axis will" choose "to point". then pick the orgin for your point.

You will still get some Y movement, but I don't see anything bigger than Y.005 in the posted code.

edit: I'm 99% sure there is a better way, I just don't know it...

Thanks for the help guys. I've given up on the Lathe I'm nowd oing this part in the 5-axis mill

@Ray the RED surface is NOT square to the X-axis so your toolpath does not finish the part

Cheers Dave

I never Claimed it did, I was showing how I would approach it and got no "y" moves(fast for removing material) as K2csq7 asked :)

I'd Probably do a morph between 2 curves to finish the Rad portion(Red face)