Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dogleg Rapids in x7 verify

litnin

Verify now reads the settings from your Control Definition to determine how to display the Rapid moves in Verify/Backplot. Open you Control Definition and go to the Linear Control topic page. For 'Rapid Motion', the default is 'Each axis moves at maximum feed rate independently'. This will show "dog-leg" rapid moves.

Change the setting to 'Linear interpolate at maximum feed rate', and the Verify/Backplot will show the old motion.

It only effects Verify/Backplot, but it also shows you the motion the machine will be using if it really does not interpolate the rapid motion.

With the new Backplot/Verify showing the dog-leg rapid motion correctly, it is now possible to catch errors that will show up on the machine. I believe that Backplot/Verify also read the Feed Rate values for each axis from the Machine Definition settings. So if you've got 500 ipm on your Z axis, but 800 ipm on your XY, that difference gets taken into account during the display of Rapid moves.

The idea is to help catch errors that we didn't show you before.

Verify now reads the settings from your Control Definition to determine how to display the Rapid moves in Verify/Backplot. Open you Control Definition and go to the Linear Control topic page. For 'Rapid Motion', the default is 'Each axis moves at maximum feed rate independently'. This will show "dog-leg" rapid moves.

Change the setting to 'Linear interpolate at maximum feed rate', and the Verify/Backplot will show the old motion.

I can't believe it, finally this basic issue that has personally caused me crashed machines and gouges in expensive mould tools and I have complained about many a times has been fixed - whoo hoo.

I can't believe it, finally this basic issue that has personally caused me crashed machines and gouges in expensive mould tools and I have complained about many a times has been fixed - whoo hoo.

Yeah, but you should be using your Vericut on expensive mould tools... LOL

MrFish,

If you are doing mold work, I'd recommend modifying your post processors to output all Rapid moves as Feed moves at the maximum feedrate of your slowest linear axis. It's much safer that way and the post modification is fairly simple.

But yes, it's very nice to have a tool that will show you the moves your machine is going to make.

Edit: After talking with one of our software developers, the linear axes currently all use the same travel rates. The movement shown on the screen is based on the distance traveled in each axis. So if you have 10" of distance to cover in X, but only 2" to cover in Y, the tool will make a 45 degree move until it reaches the position specified for each axis. The tool would move 45 degrees until it has reached the 2" of travel in Y, then continue on the last 8" in X as a straight move.

We are adding a request to make each axis interpolate at it's maximum specified travel rate, using the values in the Axis Properties, but that will be a future enhancement.

Thanks,

Colin

Yeah, but you should be using your Vericut on expensive mould tools... LOL

haha Mike, that was before I had vericut and I learn't very quickly to just stick to the good old "rapid to clearance planes well above the job" settings instead of the high speed just miss the work piece stuff !!

MrFish,

If you are doing mold work, I'd recommend modifying your post processors to output all Rapid moves as Feed moves at the maximum feedrate of your slowest linear axis. It's much safer that way and the post modification is fairly simple.

But yes, it's very nice to have a tool that will show you the moves your machine is going to make.

Edit: After talking with one of our software developers, the linear axes currently all use the same travel rates. The movement shown on the screen is based on the distance traveled in each axis. So if you have 10" of distance to cover in X, but only 2" to cover in Y, the tool will make a 45 degree move until it reaches the position specified for each axis. The tool would move 45 degrees until it has reached the 2" of travel in Y, then continue on the last 8" in X as a straight move.

We are adding a request to make each axis interpolate at it's maximum specified travel rate, using the values in the Axis Properties, but that will be a future enhancement.

Thanks,

Colin

Thanks for suggestion Colin, I do prefer that method when using the 5 axis toolpathes.