Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mold help

Greetings,

I programmed a mold for the first time using X6 and would like to know if anyone knows what would cause the condition in the attached photo. I ran the program in verify and this mismatch does not show up. I also back plotted the program using Cimco and again, did not see any moves that look like this. Upon sending the file to my reseller they confirmed that the programming looked correct. This was machined on a Komo router. I roughed the cavity with a 3/4 ball end mill with, Surface Rough Pocket, then finished it with the same tool using, Surface Constant Scallop then used a 1/4 ball end mill and the Surface Finish leftover cycle to clean up the corners and step downs. So if there are any mold pros or well, anyone that may be willing to help a new guy I would be grateful.

I can supply the Mastercam file if needed.

The red area is from the 1/4 tool and the scallop at the bottom is left over from the 3/4 tool. The upper right is the farthest corner and it is supposed to be a blended curve without that scallop between. Like I said, I am not seeing this in verify even when looking at a sectioned view.

Thanks again to everyone out there,

rchipper

Ok here it is.

One thing I did to check the posted code was to back plot the code, and the cusp should not even be there. The location in the program puts the tool right where it is supposed to be. Actually the 3/4 tool was programmed to leaves .005 for the 1/4 tool to clean up on the wall at the top. The center of the 3/4 tool radius in the picture is about .875 farther from the wall than it is supposed to be. Something is amiss??

I created additional new geometry and extended the boundary beyond the cusp to clean it up using the Constant scallop. I really need to figure out how to prevent this in the future because I will be making more of these, and variations of them.

Thank you for your reply.

post-43553-0-83554700-1377124766_thumb.png

Mathew,

the 3/4 roughing tool was feeding at, 800ipm/12000rpm and the 1/4 finish tool was 500ipm/12000rpm. Yah know I was wondering about the feeds myself. The machine may not handle the corners that well.

I will look into the high-feed machining as I am still getting familiar with this machine.

Thank you,

rchipper