Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New user names

RTI.IT

Hello,

First let me say I'm from IT, I don't use Mastercam, I support 10 users who do. We are trying to come up with a solution for moving existing mastercam installs to a new user accounts. For example, we have a user that logs to windows as "larry" who now needs to log in as "Hurco1". The reason for this being that the account "larry" is being used by multiple users and this makes capturing backups very difficult.

However it seems that if I just move the config files from the users "my mcamx6" or "my mcamx7" folder I end up with a corrupted install as the new program looks for the old username in the paths, and I don't know where to go to change each path.

So what I would like to know is how do you move Mastercam to a new computer or new user? Is there an export somewhere?? What am I overlooking?

Thanks,

Ed

Moving an X6 profile would be problematic, possible but difficult. The issue is that Mastercam has hard coded certain settings in the configuration file. I believe that X7 has corrected this issue and all the settings now use a variable path. I would install X7 and run it at least once, this will create all of the default folders and settings for that user. Then copy the following files to the new users "my mcamx\config\" folder.

mcamx.config	 (settings)
mastercam.mtb (toolbars)
mastercam.kmp (keymapping)

Assuming that your user has not created his own default files this should setup his new system identical to the way the old one was.

John is correct.. You're going to have to hand-edit the mcamx.config (or mcamxm.config if you're running metric) with a text editor to change the paths if you're running X6. In X7, all of the settings reference a relative path from the registry (Hkey_Current_User\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X7\), it uses the SharedDir key and UserDir key. Your reseller will be able to help you out with any little issues, but I would suggest wiping out any of the X6 config files and use the X7 ones, which would be a lot more flexible.