Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thoughts on machining this part.

cunder

I could throw 20 different things out there.

#1 What is the machining center you want to cut it on?

#2 What are the tolerances you need to hold on this part?

#3 Does it get heat treated? Do tolerances apply before or after heat treat?

#4 Does it have a mating part? What is the material this will be punching?

#5 What are the finishing requirements when done?

#6 What are the Datums or mating areas that the shape need to be located to?

Material today it really not a big deal to many people stress out about what you are cutting. I have cut so many different materials over the years I quite worrying about knowing the perfect speed and feed for each material. I still do not use Mastercam recommended speeds and feeds. I pick my tool manufacturer and then use their recommend speeds and feed always on the high side of the chart. Low side if for green horns. It breaks a tool slow it down. It is less than a rigid set-up slow it down. Any other time I speed it up and get the job done. Tools are expendable and not many people worry about saving a penny making tools last longer not realizing they are wasting hundreds of dollars in lost productivity. Hook up with a good tool vendor make up proven speeds and feed and save them in tool libraries, Next time that material comes up with that endmill you got a dialed in speed and feed. If I were cutting the same stuff day in and day out I would do like I use to have operation defaults that are dialed in for that machine for that material. Take a little bit of time, but if you are doing it along and along then life is good.

On last thing seeing how all the fillet radius are metric I would use Metric tools and not worry about having to keller or surface machine those fillets.

HTH and gives you some food for thought.

Part does get heat treated. Tolerances are not to tight. Square base end will locate in a pocket. pointed end punching through a window in a casting. Maybe cutting off a gate.

Part being cut on horizontal. I was planning milling and drilling end, then just 3d arced faces from each side.