Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

StartPoint for Surface HST paths

micr0

Hi all,

I'm new to the HST paths and am trying the optirough for the first time. Is there a way to force the tool path to start out side of the stock (or maybe the containment boundary?? I set up a containment boundary that is just slightly larger than my first roughing tool but it always seems to want to helix into the part and that has the tool disengaged more than is necessary. The only options for entry method don't seem to include rapiding to depth outside the stock. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks

X5 btw.

Sort of strange...

I am in X6, and never use the HST toolpaths. My work is 3D contoured graphite electrodes, and I have other toolpaths I use a lot.

I tried HST out for something I was helping someone with, and have found "sort of" a way, for you, I think.

Using Opti-Core, somehow I got it to plunge in air outside the part, and I cannot get it to helix in again.

So, there might be something there for you.

If I could, I would tell you my settings, but up to this point, I can't figure out what I set to make it do it...

Try Opti-Core, and see if you can get it to engage outside the part, and not helix in over and over...

Attached is the file, but it is X6. Sorry...

STRIPPER FOR MASTERCAM-MGM-2.MCX-6

Here ya go Ladies. Use with the uploaded stripper file in the previous post as I don't have permission to upload the EMCX-6 file.

Tip Top MCM :cheers:

It's about time someone produced a manual on this toolpath :D

It's funny how we all work - I only use 10% for toolpath radius with no probs. My original thought was that the tool would get into tighter corners with the smaller rad...

Bounday box as you say, + 2/3mm. I always click outside of this, not on a line or corner, and have always had the tool start where I have clicked.

I've also never changed the tool containment from centre with this toolpath. And never used add tool at all. Perhaps it's because where I have ticked for start point (off the boundary) is a bigger gap than the tool radius so the tool can plunge in air without a helix entry???

I've only ever left fittting settings as default. Note to self - must experiment more :D

Lastly ref arc settings - as a default I have our parameters set to create arcs in XY only. When I want to have arcs in other planes, I'll tick XZ/YZ but don't have them on as a default. Guess I'm a bit paranoid of plane changes without the relevant G18/19 being output or G17 being assigned again as it bit us once years ago in a previous place.

When XZ/YZ gets ticked, code gets anally scanned in editor to ensure the correct plane is output, as I don't want to bump a machine at F7500...

On the whole 9.5 out of 10 :lol:

Well done and thanks.

:cheers:

• Like 1

This PDF was written as a safe approach and works without going into too much detail.

"I only use 10% for toolpath radius with no probs. My original thought was that the tool would get into tighter corners with the smaller rad..."

I've done 10% as well. IMO, with this setting, using aggressive feeds becomes speculative. I cut a lot of tool steel. When I do have to use 10% do get it to cut where I want it to, I re-evaluate the strategy and think about using a smaller tool in a second operation. Programming time, part quantity, and the amount of perishable tooling on hand now play into the equation.

I also use stock set-up with accurate numbers. These Opti paths seem to have a mind of their own and accurate verify is a must.The boundaries give me that extra bit of control.

As far as getting an exact start point, I've yet to do it consistently with Opti core. " I always click outside of this, not on a line or corner, and have always had the tool start where I have clicked." Newbeeee, I'll have to try that and revise the PDF. with you as a co author. I went back and tried a new tool path using this method, with and with out a boundary, containment center, containment outside, and it still stared where it wanted to. I think I'll have to start a fresh file and see if that helps.

One slick trick that gives me more control is to use an extra large boundary and dummy drive surfaces in the model. An extra block here and there added to a copy of the model, then use the trim tool path op. Cuts the air balls out of the path and creates approach and exit mores closer to where I want them. Over in the Learning group section, there is a Gearbox Housing part that I worked on. Trim worked good in this scenario. Anybody that's interested should sign up, down load the file and take a look and comment.

When using raw material with saw cut ends, I'll always set up a boundary that is larger by at least my step over. This keeps it safe and takes off some of the load with those first few corner rounding moves.

People, keeps the tips coming!