Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Just wondering...

brandon b

Had a QE reject a bunch of parts one time because the Go Gauge on the thread gage was lose. The No-Go would not fit, but he had never see a 1"-8 2B thread those loose before. Over $400k of Tomahawk Missile Bodies ready to go out the door held up. Thing was we were getting dinged for the ,000 true position on the threads. We had Max Material so we made up our own special Go Gauge that were big on the PD. Operator would adjust till the Over sized Go Gauge would fit and the No-Go would not. He was quite adamant about they were scrap and needed to be put on a tag. I laughed and it took some time to straighten all of that out.

I have been in many arguments about the fixture plate that is used on target machining. I find it to be flat within .005", considering we go old schoold and the QC department gives me an offset value X and Y shift with a rotation value to part center line then the tooling post I dial in on is not perpendicular to plate in an nonconstrained state then leans .001-.002" when the plate is constrained QC constantly argues my set up is off never believing all this stack up is causing positional errors from time to time. I look forward to the day when we go to probing. Constrain plate level part then run probe. Errors should all but go away.....

I'm an okay programmer because I get to do a lot of 5-axis stuff all the time and have had to pull toolpaths inside and out and make them do a lot of things. But more often than I would like to admit I do something aerospatially stupid like running a cutter backwards etc. I strongly believe than any engineering program needs a 2-yr real world mfg-ing co-op/apprenticeship component. I thought I remembered the UK doing it this way. I've learned a lot working on-site with people, so I've come a long way but the world could do without completely green designers/programmers fumbling their way through things, and I could have dealt with not being embarssed..as much!

Tyler - in the UK it used to be a 5 year apprenticeship where in the 1st year, you were at tech school learning the multi disciplines.

If you were lucky and had an apprenticeship with an OEM (or a company that cared), you would work in all departments - design, quality, sales, production, planning etc, which gave a great all round perspective, and years 2 to 5 at college on day release.

If you were unlucky, you got an apprenticeship with a machine shop and were plunked onto a machine and stayed there (cheap labour but great intensive experience for the one field).

This gave a great start - but years later I'm still learning. That's what is great about this game (and forum).

BTW - Like the story about cutters running backwards. I find it easy to think nuts and bolts - righty tighty lefty loosey :lol:

• Like 1