Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse Engineering

LaszloK

We have a bunch of old epoxy molds. The "moldmaker" sculpted wooden patterns to produce the epoxy molds. I have been asked to provide CAD models for these old epoxy molds. We would rather purchase the necesaary hardware and software rather than contract the work out. I have a couple of questions:

1. What data capture method (laser scanning, CT, white light, Etc) would you use?

2. What type of output (ie: pointcloud, etc) should I be looking for?

3. Is any one reading point cloud data directly into MC or Solidworks?

4. Any good software to convert data capture into solid models (ie: Geomagic, etc)?

5. Can this be done for $30K?

I'm interested in any feedback and case histories any one may have.

Thanks,

Laszlo

Laszlo,

If your accuracy requirements are in the .005" to .015" range, then the NextEngine 3D Laser Scaner System would be great for you... I have used one to reverse engineer Harrier Jet duct tube service protection covers, Airplane interior parts, Airplane nav light bezels, Golf Cart aftermarket parts.

The unit is about the size of a lage dictionary, It can be purchased with Rapidform XOR reverse enginering software that will output a EDITABLE SolidWorks part file.... as well as other CAD neutral formats....

All for less than $ 7,000.00

PM me and I will give you my phone number.... to discuss further...

$30k is not going to work if thinking along the lines of laser scanning. $7k for a nextEngine as along as it can see it. Anything outside it range then you need to think about how you are going to keep the scans ties to each other. The Master3DGage is a perfect choice at this price range. Your Mastercam Dealer can work with you and show you how you can get 5000 points a minute from the Master3DGage arm when using it to reverse. The process would start with measuring the Geometric shapes to create a location or origin to work from. Then from there you would start scrubbing the part with the arm. Scanners are great and might could get an arm with a scanner without any software for about $45k then you add software you would be at anywhere from $55k to $250K depending on how accurate you want to be. Verisurf is the only Software that allows a company using Mastercam the ability to use a device inside of the Mastercam Software. All other choices are going to be a different software. I have seen Faro offer their comparable arm with what I consider lesser ability Software for 1/3 the price, then they got you. They do not refund your money iof it does not do what you need, but they will be glad to give you credit toward an arm that will do what you want. Master3DGage is the full package if you want to buy the full Package or it can be the what you need package. The price is very reasonable within your budget, but then you need training, then you need to think about the other difference.

Laser scanners are great when used in the correct way. I have seen people taught them for years without a true understanding of the process of using them. Scanning it like a shotgun it throws out a wide swarf of points back to the device. Then the software has to work with that and make a shape from that. I have seen people put 1 million points on a 12" x 12" plane and then wonder why a software takes 30 seconds to a minute to figure out it was a plane and then make the shape. The idea of a Rifle is that it allows the Marksman the ability to pinpoint his target and the ability to get what he wants. A shot gun is for scatter and a scanner if used wrong is like the same thing. However if you know the correct methods for using a scanner can cover a lot of ground quickly and get a big complex surface part done efficiently. That is the trade off do you want to sit then and scrub every square inch of a part or scan it with a scanner and clean up the mess after the fact? Arm gives the accuracy when scanning a part with a tip and the scanner give you the points with a diminished accuracy. Back to the old rule time is money and money is time. Some people want to save money by buying a cheaper solution and letting the labor be the cost. Some people spend the money on the equipment and let the labor be the lesser cost. Same principle applies here you can go with a very capable accurate device that will give you a quick ROI and can be used for other purposes or you can buy a real cheap nextEngine that will only ever allow reversing.

The Master3DGage when used correctly and implemented as part of the manufacturing process improves efficiency, accuracy and quality at all levels for a company using it. You can get it for your reversing project, then your manufacturing process for making the new tools and then for checking the completed parts coming off of the molds. Going with Verisurf as the software allows you an interface you know which is Mastercam. The parts can go from Art to Part to Completely Inspected out the door with the Master3DGage within your budget for a device, but without training and correct implementation then you would have a nice paper weight.

• Like 1