Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3-axis+ chamfering

Bob W.

I am curious if anyone has creative methods of 3D chamfering that work well. I am well aware of the 3D chamfer option in the contour toolpath menu but this falls apart when the geometry has a lot of depth/ steepness variation. Without creating a lot of extra geometry it is limited to pretty shallow or consistent geometry to get good results. I'd love to hear how programmers approach more challenging geometry in 3, 4, and 5-axis toolpaths for getting good deburring/ chamfering results.

Project your 3D geometry up to a plane above the part and trim it into a nice chain.

Make a 2D chamfer path on that chain, set the Z height above the part, and ghost it.

Then use a surface finish>project path, select that ghosted path's NCI, and set the stock to leave at -.005 (or whatever size chamfer you want).

Sometimes I will take the time to chamfer in 3 axis using one depth along one area to create the chamfer I want. Then do the other chamfer at the diameter for the deepest part. I save the back plot from both and then at the transitions I make up my own geometry to allow the chamfer to carry through. I then do a 3d contour using the center-line of the 2 toolpaths now turned into one center line toolpath. I verify to make sure what I want adjust as needed and done. If I have a 5 axis machine I will take a endmill and 5 axis it. If I can swarf cut it I swarf cut it. I all else fails I surface machine it and call it day. Every part is different and ever axis combination of machine is different each presents its own method and approach. It takes years of experience and wiling to try as many different thing as it takes to get the results you need to get the job done. You got a part and machine you want to try something on I am sure someone would be glad to show how they are willing to approach it.

HTH

Project your 3D geometry up to a plane above the part and trim it into a nice chain.

Make a 2D chamfer path on that chain, set the Z height above the part, and ghost it.

Then use a surface finish>project path, select that ghosted path's NCI, and set the stock to leave at -.005 (or whatever size chamfer you want).

That is pretty slick, I'll have to give it a try. The method I have been doing lately is offsetting the contour, then chamfering with a ball mill running the tool at the center instead of the tip. Gives pretty good results for the most part though I think your method would work better. Another add to yours would be to take the surface project toolpath and convert to 5-axis for tool axis control if needed.

I created this thread just looking for ideas. We are running some production parts right now (first run) and once the parts come off the machine my employee then sits in front of the microscope for 20 minutes with a dental tool picking out the burrs. I am still in the process of refining the program and this is first on my list. This is pretty tricky geometry and I ended up offsetting the curves in ProE (in multiple directions, normal to surfaces, etc...) and importing that geometry to Mastercam with great results. I run across this sort of thing on a regular basis though and I need to develop more tricks up my sleeve to deal with it.

Thanks for the input.

Crazy, I have never saved the backplot geometry for modification but it sounds very useful. Where can I learn more about it?

Works great thanks for the info !!

Back plot the toolpath and the new MU1 or the traditional and decide what you want saved along with the file. From help:

After backplotting toolpaths, use the Save as Geometry dialog box to save the visible toolpath motion as geometry to a specific level and using specified entity attributes. Use the Save Tool Geometry dialog box to save the tool and holder at the current tool position as wireframe geometry to a specific level and using specified entity attributes.

If you want to save the geometry using certain colors, line styles, or other entity attributes, select Save using Entity Attribute Manager settings. This option is available only if you enable the Entity Attribute Manager by selecting the EA Mgr checkbox on the Attributes dialog box.

To select a level for the saved geometry, choose the Level button to open the Levels dialog box, select a level from the drop-down list, or enter a level in the edit field.

Here are some screen shots and a video.

SAVEBACKPLOTTOLEVEL_zps4fead889.png

SAVEBACKPLOTASGEOMETRYDIALOG_zps36a85284.png

http://s1008.photobucket.com/user/5th-Axis-Consulting/media/SaveBackplotasGeometry_zpsce659ab1.mp4.html

HTH

I find I am using surface-finish-flowline a lot when other things don't seem to work work out quickly. I am also usually programming for just one or two parts so I don't take the extra programming time to reduce cycle time. Super fast cycles aren't always best for me, quick programming usually trumps.