Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T G53 Question

JS

Hi I use G54 -G59 all the time and was wondering if there is any reason why when I input my Z hights for them at the control, why I shouldn't just set and leave them at 0.000 and put the Z hight in the G53. this would save alot of input at the control with less chance of error maybe forgetting a minus sign or something.

Thanks Joe cheers.gif

Well I think it going to depend on the Machine and how it reads the Height offsets from that point in the controller. If you are using g54 and tell it a position to be that is alomst always a rplace in relation from home. If you then call up the tool then the correct height offset is called and it works from there. If yuo dont use the G54 then you do want to change the Heights of the tools thye will in essese have to be changed at everyplace you have a g53 in the program. I have some programs with over 1,000,000 line if code be a real bitch to have to go find a G53 for 21 different tools.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Crazy Millman

Hi I'm using a Fanuc 6MB control. On the offset page it is the first group of offsets ,this automatically overrides the other offset G54- 59. I am not calling up a g53 anywhere in the program, And again I will only be using this for the Z hight offset.

Thanks Joe cheers.gif

First of all,I really love the 6mb control.

I know it is old but I think it was a good control.

The "group of offsets" that you are referring to I call "common offsets".I have never heard rhem called G53. rolleyes.gif

I do not think that by using them,they will "over-ride" the G54-G59,whichever you are using,but will "add or subtract" to them.

I will occasionally us the one in "Z" for this.

I might put a -.030 in there which will drop ALL my tools by this amount,rather than change 10 height offsets.

This comes in handy when doing a face mill,profile,drill op. or something and the stock is not consistant on the thickness.

But I still think that each tool/height offset needs to be used in the height offset page.

6MB

6mb.jpg

Bucket I do the same also I will just adjust the fixture offest to refelct that difference verse all tools.

JG I just worry about crashes if by some chance your machine is doing it that way. The height offset are a normal habit of most shops and if by chance you have coworkers and they did it different that you or you went to another shop possible down the road then you could be putting yourself at risk to cuase crashes. I have pissed people off in shops over the years I have had working for me. I told everyone that we will all do it the same way and keep everything thing in the same format. I felt like if soemone was doing it backass wards and they missed a day or soemone needed to do that job at night then that was not good. I think it is up to you what you choose and feel comfortable doing for your needs. I would just be very weary and careful the frist 100 times or so.

Crazy Millman

[ 10-05-2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Bucket you understand what I'm talking about. I ment to say that it will add or subtract to the numbers in your offsets. I change the Z all the time in the first or commen offset as you call it. This is why I want to change the rest of the Z offsets to zero so I just need to change the offset in one location. I guess it is obvious that this will work. Millman as far as other people screwing things up I'm a cheers.gif one man band so that's not a problem.

Thanks's for you replys Joe

But I still think that you will need some number in your "H" offset for each tool.

Sometimes I may put a small number in the "Y" if I need to tweak my work offset,rather than to change my G54 number.

One thing to be careful,If you have a minus offset in this common parameter,and you break a tool for whatever reason,and you have to put a new tool in and establish a different "H" offset,you may crash! eek.gif