Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

C-AXIS LATHE

Mickey@acceltool

OK, I have been programming lathes for a short time now and I am having problems with C-AXIS stuff.

When I c-axis face mill flats on my diameter and then go to drill a c-axis hole on those flats, the holes will not land on the flats I just machined. How can I control this in Mastercam X7 or from a machine config? I will attach a example file.

Thanks

CAXIS.MCX-7

With C Axis toolpaths you have to remember the movement to cut a flat starts at one angle and then goes to a finish angle for the flat. If you only have lathe and not mill then you cannot use the method I am thinking which is Planes and Milling toolpaths not C axis toolpaths. Will still be a C axis toolpath because in the axis substitution you will tell it C Axis. From what I can see looks right what kind of a difference are you seeing on the parts?

The holes are not landing on the flats that I cut. I have a lathe with live tooling. It drills the holes in between the flats. The milling and holes are not indexed the same to each other. How do I get the posted code to cut the part correctly as I program it and as you see it on the screen?

Dodgerfan!!! What other views??? Please explain!

I'll do my best here. I'm not to savy with c axis so these are just shots in the dark. (disclaimer)

You can choose a solid face and make that the view for you path.

Go to planes, view by solid face then choose the flat as your "new view" give it a name like "view for flats" and program it from there.

I pulled in your file and used C axis cross drill and everything worked perfectly for me, whenever I cross drill, I tend to use the cross drill tool paths, select rotary axis control to C axis, and you should be golden.

That was it. C-axis cross drill in "X6" shows an example in the toolpath type dialog box as if you were drilling off of center as if you had a "Y" axis on your lathe, so I would never used it because I don't have a "Y" axis. I have always used c-axis drill. In X7 in the toolpath type dialog box it shows the C-axis cross drill..... drilling on center line of the part (totally opposite) of X6. FML!!!

So from now on I will only use C-AXIS CROSS DRILLING.....I have fought with this for a long time...

Thanks for your help!!!!1

C-axis cross drill lets you select c OR y axis on the rotary axis control page of the toolpath. It has regular linking parameters that "make sense".

C-axis drill basically is using axis substitution, where on the rotary axis control page you need to enter a diameter of your part, which is ADDED to all the linking parameters. Not as easy as regular cross drill, you always are having to think through what the dia of a particular feature you are on...

An alternate way to go is use regular milling toolpaths, with the rotary axis control page set to C-axis. It takes an understanding of the view-manager and t/c planes a bit but there are a few parameters that aren't avail in the c-axis toolpaths, but you have access to in mill. (not to mention the fact that you can use any and all the mill toolpaths!) The best way to set up the correct planes for full blown milling toolpaths is using the c-axis utility, a little hidden gem. You will find it under the Mill Toolpaths, the very first thing at the top of the list. It's pretty easy to figure out.

hth