Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d Dynamic Core Helix Entry

Chris Rizzo

I have no problem figuring out a work around myself, but when someone I'm training says "why is helix not working, the switch is here (edit: YES numerous values and options have be tried)

To re-phrase the question: The entry method option is there, does the toggle work?

I see it works in Johns file. What's the reason it's not in this one:

HELIX.MCX-7

• Like 1
The answer is because it's not designed to work in that situation.

It is for those times when with changing geometry the tool MUST enter into stock.

It is intelligent enough to recognize that and switch itself on, that is why it is a great idea to always put numbers in there that are workable.

Anyone who has sat through any one of my training classes has probably heard something very similar to that along the way

+1 JParis response.

Looking at the geometry in your file I wouldn't want to helix into that feature. It just looks like an open slot and the best way to enter and cut these features would be from the outside. If I see it this way then Mastercam should to. My suggestion, if someone asks you that question open the file I created or something similar and demonstrate. It's a great opportunity to show the intelligence and ease of programming with dynamic machining.

Yes agreed on all the above. No question I would cut it differently. I've long been on the forefront of dynamic milling techniques, tooling, machines, etc. and don't want to get into that aspect.

My question, period, is about the software output. Why does helix not output? I've run into this before and figured now is a good a time as any to investigate.

My answer would be, "Because it doesn't NEED to". In your example it can enter another way, in my example the only way for it to cut the center feature it fits into is by helixing. NEED here is the key. Just my two cents.

As I stated above and John hit again, it doesn't work because it doesn't "need"