Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Single Turret Lathes vs Twin (or Triple even) Turret Lathes

We're considering the purchase of a new lathe. It will be a single spindle lathe with C and Y axis, and we originally considered a single turret version. However, we raised the thought of a twin turret lathe (upper and lower turrets.

I've never used, or programmed one of these. I'd be interested to hear of the reasoning for considering a multi turret machine vs. a single turret. Productivity obviously, but are there some core considerations, ie: type of parts etc that would drive this decision? I would assume the cost in going from one turret to two or more would be considerable.

I'm aware of the ability required to programme them (sync codes etc). We're an Okuma shop, so we've looked at the LB series MY, but the LU's look interesting.

I'd be interested in any and all feedback.

There are some guys I know that have never done any pinch turning and very few simultaneous turning ops (which I think they should) but they like having most of the tools they need in the machine at any time. It does save them a bunch of time for set ups. I've used AOT for most of the twin and triple turret programming I've done because I don't have to deal with any sync code issues.

If you are already running capto, having two turrets isn't going to help you much on setups IMO unless you are running out of tool stations. For low volumes I tend to think they are more hassle than they are worth. Multi path controls are a whole new ball game for not only programmers but especially operators. Now if you are running a lot of slender parts it may be a major benefit. Also, if you have a sub spindle, all your back work and parts eject is usually free.

Mike

I believe you can't beat a 2 turret lathe. AOT makes it simple to program, as Mr. M said, but even without AOT it's not very difficult. Even on small runs of parts you will see a benefit. Extra tool capacity is nice, especially if you do a lot of different width grooves because you can load multiple groovers of different widths. You can also get a lower turret mounted steady rest. Gives up a few turret stations but VERY nice to have when you need it. Okuma has an LU with a sub-spindle coming out if you want a sub as well.

Twin Spindle Twin Turret... is the MINIMUM I would ever consider when buying a lathe!!!!!

Capto, KM, whatever. Worth their weight in gold, even on a single spindle machine. Setup times are so much faster and if you're thinking ahead, use the same tools and tool numbers on multiple jobs whenever possible.

JM2CFWIW

Why are you not getting a second spindle? I can't fathom running a single spindle lathe for smaller parts. I'd rather have one turret and two spindles over two turrets and one spindle any day of the week.

For many, they don't have parts that can be transferred or only have ops on one side. Also for heavy shaft work a tailstock can be more helpful, but depending on the part you can run a center in the sub-spindle chuck if needed (which comes in pretty handy)

For many, they don't have parts that can be transferred or only have ops on one side. Also for heavy shaft work a tailstock can be more helpful, but depending on the part you can run a center in the sub-spindle chuck if needed (which comes in pretty handy)

I've never had a single op lathe part in my life so I guess I never think about that :)

I run a center in my sub sometimes, but its not as nice as a real tail stock. I have seen some guys with twin turrets mount a live center in one of the turrets.

We do a mix of tailstock parts and chuck parts. Big and small. A single chuck machine with tailstock is more suitable for our range of work.

The option of a second turret/axis is actually quite reasonable. We're going to explore this option further.