Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question on new Machine/Control definition creation...re: tool libraries.

Dontech

Good afternoon, folks. %29.gif

I'm creating new definition files for all the machines in my shop. I"ve got 4 different CNC brands that all use their own MD/CD def files, to which we send our .nc progs from a pair of PCs that are each linked to a general server. The method in my shop is to save our programs to the server, and then back up the server's shop directory to each of the two shop PCs. This generally works very well, but due to a number of cooks having their hands in the Mastercam Files stew over the years, we've got a ridiculous amount of redundant, flawed, and otherwise useless (or nearly so) control definitions, post files, etc...and they've been stored in different locations in these hard drives over the years. It's taken a ton of work on my part to ferret out the unwanted/unneeded extras that some of these well-meaning but misguided minions have created, and I'm almost done, but I have a couple things to do yet. Al of the former crew is gone except myself and a new trainee whom I get to train to do things my way, and he's doing very well so far, but there are some lingering file-selection issues that I want to square away. So...I'm not the most knowledgable Mcam programmer but I do alright; after I was trained and tutored for a few years, our company's Mcam guru moved on...leaving a lot of the mess you just read about above. As a result, I'm more or less self-taught on some of the more advanced configuration file editing, with the help of a couple youtube videos. Basically, what I want to do is slim & trim everything down to one machne/control definition per machine, each with it's own post file, etc...in other words, the way it's supposed to work. I've been working on this all day today and I've got it, mostly, but the one thing that eludes me is understanding how to tell the definition files which tool library to use. I'm directing the ops files, NC, etc to our server directory (F:drive for us) and everything's going there except for the tool library in Machine Group Properties; that file still wants to go one of our local C:drive tool libraries. This isn't what I want it to do, so how do I configure the definition files to automatically choose the server files for the tool libraries like what works for the rest of the definintions?

Sorry so wordy, guys. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Rob @ Dontech.

No problem with the wordiness, a full complete explanation is always preferable. To answer your question you can associate a tool library to a Machine Definition by clicking the "machine parameters" icon, screenshot below.

Now to go further....(assuming you are using X7) I recommend you share your machine files, posts and libraries by moving the entire "Shared Mcamx7" folder on the network. Get one computer completely configured with all the correct mappings, Machine/Control/Posts along with Tool Libraries, etc. Create a folder on your network drive called "Shared Mcamx7" then in the Mastercam configuration settings > Files set the "Shared Data Folder" item to the new network directory you just created. Mastercam will automatically copy all of the current machines files to this new directory. Once it is done immediatly close and reopen Mastercam and set the "Machine Type" menu with the network machine locations. Then you can map the other PC's to the network drive the same way.

Using this method all of the machines, libraries and defaults will automatically be pulled from the network location. All of the relevant settings in System Configuration will also be mapped to the network location.

post-20825-0-56907100-1391463965_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the info, guys.

No, I'm not using X7. We're still using X (MR2), which we upgraded to from MC9 when it first came out. Sad story there is that we had some kind of trouble with X2, and after our then-resident Mcam guru lost interest in fiddling with it the company decided to let the maintenance run out on X if we weren't going to use the X2 upgrade. So, we've been rolling along using an outdated and unsupported (but otherwise perfectly adequate) X for the last few years until early last year when, after much brow-beating, the company finally agreed to start supporting my shop by upgrading to X6. I installed it but haven't yet used it due to the aforementioned X-MR2 redundant post-file multiplicity issue. Didn't want to pollute or cross-pollinate a new version with bad old files, which I feared would happen. Meantime, the company surprised me towards the end of last year by also springing for X7...so now I have both, but I still want to get all my def/config/post files cleaned up & sorted out before I get into either one of those...otherwise i fear repeating the many programming/file system sins of the last guy. It's my shop now; the last vestiges of 'good-enough for now'-itis are gone and I just want things to go smoothly from here on out...especially with a new guy to train. It's hard enough for a new guy to learn the ins and outs of programming without also trying to understand why his Manager files, etc give him bad file-induced fits. ;)

Rob @ Dontech.

I 2nd getting a hold of your dealer. I would also recommend not installing your def files to the network until you get updated to X7. Previous versions are tricky to get functioning and if you are already having to sort out other problems don't add in unnecessary complications. Setup both machines to work locally and then update to X7. Then move your files using the method I described above.

Thank you again for the input and the advice, guys.

RaiderX had it right; I found the tool/material library where he said to look, and it worked. :)

In hindsight, I can't believe I never clicked on that icon before. Would've saved me several hours' grief if I had just said "hmm...wonder what that's for?" :laughing:

Rob @ Dontech.