Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling Impact Resistant Polycarbonate

We are looking at making a fixture for a laser machine out of Impact Resistant Polycarbonate. We are using a clear polycarbonate so we can put a backlight for the vision system on the laser. The fixture is essentially a array of pockets. My question is can the pockets be milled with the polycarbonate staying clear so the light shines through or will it get hazy with the machining process?

Thanks

JaredF

It will be hazy wherever the cutter touches it. ie: Blind pockets...floor won't be clear and walls won't be clear.

There is a chemical process I've heard of but it takes lots of buffing. Same with flame.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked in the plastics business for 20+ years..... After you mill the pockets with the best surface finish you can get, whip out your propane torch and flame polish the areas you machined.... cut some pockets in some scrap to perfect your technique.

depending on how good the surface is to start you should get pretty clear results...

• Like 1

I worked with a guy who could do it through vapor polishing it using a heated acid. It was very dangerous, but he had the process down and could take anything we machinied and make it clear real quick. I tired it once and after I melted 20 hours of work into a blob decided I would not try that again.

• Like 1