Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MacterCam’s new maintenance $gouge$.

John White WLM&T

Now it is going to require a maintenance fee for service packs and upgrades.

When we purchased the software the fact that these were included in the high cost of the software was a selling feature. It was explained the cost was built in up front. It was explained I could skip upgrades if not required and not be penalized if you buy in to the next upgrade. Also at the time of purchase I could just upgrade mill and not lathe or wire. Now all three require upgrades at the same time just to get the benefits of one.

This to me is changing the rules halfway through the game. There was an agreement with CNC Software when we purchased it. Can you say renege? Are new sales so slow at CNC Software that they have to look to their customer base and force revenue from them? The response from my dealer was that people were asking for this. Bull.

Guess I’ll have to just run out the usefulness of Ver9 and start shopping again.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

[ 10-15-2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: TheBigJW ]

JW

As Phil stated, this aggravation has been covered at length before. I, like you, feel that the explanation of the driving factor behind this as a 'customer request' is somewhat disingenuous. However, there is truly nothing to be done about this from the customer end excepting the 'smile and bend over' approach.

What're you gonna do?

C

quote:

However, there is truly nothing to be done about this from the customer end excepting the 'smile and bend over' approach.

So I said - reaching for the vaseline - how much is that again? < teeth clenched smiley > eek.gif

-- OR --

( kent brockman ) "and I, for one, welcome, our new maintenance agreement overlords" smile.gifsmile.gif

Jim Pallister

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a Mastercam dealer. This means I have first hand knowledge and that I talk with other Mastercam dealers frequently.

I can assure you this maintenance plan is not happening because Mastercam sales are declining biggrin.gif If anything our market share is accelerating. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

This is a long term strategic move. It's understandable that you are upset, and that is to be expected whenever there is a change in status quo.

I would encourage you to read the other posts regarding the maintenance plan, get all the facts, and at least try to see the other side.

[ 10-15-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

"This is a long term strategic move. It's understandable that you are upset, and that is to be expected whenever there is a change in status quo."

A change in status quo. This is a change in contract. The same contract that doesn't allow me to sell Mastercam when I'm done with it. This is not what I agreed to when we purchased the software. This should apply to new customers only.

John White

And James quit thinking about my WACKER and get back to work.

[ 10-17-2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: TheBigJW ]

quote:

When we purchased the software the fact that these were included in the high cost of the software was a selling feature.

That is how many, many, many, seats of Mastercam were sold. I am sure you are not the only one that bought the software becuse of this and I agree that this is a change in the contract that you purchased version (what ever you have). One thing that you are experiencing in this transition is a new set of rules and a new covenent or contract for VX which has been hailed and prophecised more than JC himself as the saviour to all manufacturing enterprises in such tumultuous and troubled times.

You still have options however to not purchase the upgrade and to exclude yourself from the maintenance contract. However, I am troubled on a daily basis that I can't get any support for my 386DX-16 running Win3.1.1 and a seat of Smartcam even though it still makes good programs that run well on our machines.

Things do change - sorry.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I see said the blind man to his three deaf children. biggrin.gif

quote:

John White

TheBigJW....Delusions of grandeur..... I get it rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif .

I also get that you should read the EULA very carefully so as to hopefully glean a clue. Whlie you're at it, read the EULA from one of your Microsoft Products. I'm pretty sure they say the same thing in a nutshell with different verbage.

Nobody is forcing you to get on the Maintenance Program. You can hang out with your V9.1 till you can't buy hardware that will run it anymore. The choice is yours. I know people still using SmartCAM, and that software has been out of development for like 5-6 years now. You can also update when you want, the choice is yours. Why all the big fuss? Because it's not Burger King and you can't have it your way??? frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif Perhaps you don't like the fact that those on Maintenance will get things not available to you if you're not on Maintenance? Well if you don't like that you have three choices, grumble, evaluate the merits of Maintenance and get with the program, or go with another software package that will have MANDATORY maintenance.

JM2C

[ 10-17-2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]