Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Entry level 5 axis

cincy k

Yes, I wrote it into my post. It was a few weeks of work but worth every second. I can post out probing routines as custom drill cycles and I use them for setting work offsets for 3-axis, 4-axis (DFO), and 5-axis (DFO) machines. DFO is Dynamic Fixture Offset and the probe cycles for the 4 and 5-axis posts measures the feature and populates the appropriate offsets using G10 commands. I also use them for measuring features and checking tolerances and it works extremely well. I can set up a probing operation as quickly as I can set up a spot drilling operation.

Did you have help from your reseller or whom? Did you find any reference materials anywhere to implement this?

Did you have help from your reseller or whom? Did you find any reference materials anywhere to implement this?

Nope, educated guess and check and some threads on this forum were a huge help. Many thanks to Mr. John Paris and his posts and input.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=21936&hl=%2Bcustom+%2Bdrill+%2Bcycles+%2Bprobing

Also search for "custom drill cycles". There is a lot of information on this forum. I didn't have to make one phone call to pull it off, just searched the forum and trial and error :-)

Forum Search... THE most unused function in the forum. It's a shame really. There's some seriously good stuff in here if people just take the time to look. Of course that requires some effort and most people can't be bothered when it's so easy to just post a question that's been asked thousands of times.

Just sayin'.

Nope, educated guess and check and some threads on this forum were a huge help. Many thanks to Mr. John Paris and his posts and input.

http://www.emasterca...cycles +probing

Also search for "custom drill cycles". There is a lot of information on this forum. I didn't have to make one phone call to pull it off, just searched the forum and trial and error :-)

Cool. That's got to be extremely gratifying!

Forum Search... THE most unused function in the forum. It's a shame really. There's some seriously good stuff in here if people just take the time to look. Of course that requires some effort and most people can't be bothered when it's so easy to just post a question that's been asked thousands of times.

Just sayin'.

Do you know if Camplete verifies probing cycles?

• 1 year later...

cincy k,

How do you like that mx520 so far?

Were you able to integrate lang system directly to the table? 13.77 inch tall part max is on the small side...

Positives/negatives about the machine? 20k spindle? Camplete?

Did you also opt for a post or strictly camplete?

TIA

Do you know if Camplete verifies probing cycles?

Sorry. Looks like I missed this a while back. :)

The answer at the moment is sort of but not exactly. So, what I have at the moment is to use a custom drill cycle in Mastercam, map that to CAMplete's "Threadmilling" cycle (just a random cycle pick as it was available to be used for this). Then in the Treadmilling cycle I put all the stuff (TLO, turn probe on, protected move to probing position, etc...)minus the actual probing cycle call (G65P9811, G65P9812, G65P9814, etc...) then protected move to the retract position and turn off the probe. You would then need to hand edit for the actual cycle at the machine or on your programming station.

So, it does not actually simulate the probing cycle itself but it can certainly simulate everything else.

If you know how to edit your NCFormat, here's the sections. Like I said I randomly selected the Threadmilling cycle as I could map it. I could not map to any of the Probing stuff... I should probably report that so we can do that but I digress.

So add this to an open Cycle, map that cycle in the Tools, Options, File Types, Mastercam NCI, Advanced Properties, Cycle Selection tab. Then scroll down to what Mastercam Drilling cycle  you want to use, then map it to the CAMplete TruePath cycle.

It's not perfect but it gets you pretty close. Eventually I want to get full probing implemented... it's just time to set everything up on Mastercam's cycle(s), get the NCI output correct so it can be mapped in CAMplete then send it to the CAMplete guys and they'll do the rest. It's on my to-do list but so are a few dozen other things. The CAMplete guys are GREAT to work with. It's SO gratifying to see stuff that you've helped with get implemented in a relatively short period of time. :yes:

Anyway, HTH and if you've got any other questions... don't hesitate to ask. :yes:

NC Format - Cycle Sections - Add.zip

Love it so far. Been installed and running for about 3 months. Get a nice chip conveyor!!! Lns mh250 or better. Laser is probably over kill but nice. Blum z nano would work fine for what we really needed. Breakage detection only for us. Lang is on a riser at the moment. Check out tkmsusa on instagram for pics. 20 k spindle is rock solid. Enough torque for face mills. Tons of rpm for tiny tools and aluminum. Not enough tool storage for the high mix low volume stuff we run sometimes. But gotta start some where. We use camplete. Pretty simple to get up and running with Sean ormson's help. Pretty user friendly but slower processing on large files than I'd like to see. I would also get a post for doing simple stuff. Don't have one yet but see it as beneficial.

Machine is definitely more rigid than I thought it would be.

Negatives- nothing major once we swapped out our first chip conveyor. Machine has a couple quirks that are annoying. You have to turn a key to do anything manual with the door closed. That pretty much my only gripe.

• Like 1

Didn't get an actual shrink unit yet, just holders. Use a torch and a lathe. Looking at a lower end shrink unit from Techniks or Lyndex. Something simple. 

I wouldn't go the route of Haimer knowing what I know now. I asked for a few specs on their holders and pull studs and they won't tell me whether they meet the standards asked for by Matsuura. A simple yes or no whether your holder meets a print was all I was after and they still didn't give me an answer. So I said the hell with a company and won't work WITH you to make sure you're getting what you need. 

I'd look hard at Lyndex, Rego, Fahrion and Pioneer SX for super nice stuff. For simple collet chucks that don't need to be uber accurate I'd look at Maritool coupled with Lyndex ER collets. 

Rego-Fix PowR Grip are my favorite holders.

Be careful with pull studs. We had a customer have trouble with a few that cracked. One catastrophically and ended up requiring a new spindle. Adhere STRICTLY to the torque spec on the pull stud. Use Buna O-Rings and lastly, if you feel the need to use Loc-Tite or some other thread locking chemical, "less is more". :yes: If you gob it on, it can lead to giving liquid a place to pool and kick start the corrosion process on the pull-stud facilitating failure.