Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Deburring

Corner-rounding endmills are your friend. Harvey Tool has an excellent selection and I swear by them for all my micro-machining needs. For geometry that you can't get away with a CREM, I will usually do surface high speed > scallop on the fillet, and use the surface edges of the fillet as a containment boundary. It's not quick, but it works when the only other option is hoping the operator doesn't screw it up while hand deburring.

Okay edge breaks then I would look at doing them with a ball endmill. Maybe on a part this small 1/32 ball em. Then use the 3d Chamfer which will show you what to expect. On the the Multi-Axis Lathe go to Right view do one and then transform Rotate 6 times. Where it transitions into the cylinder you need to play with the lead in/out and adjust to cut what you need.

HTH

Thanks everyone for the responses

I am interested in the "surface high speed scallop with fillet edge boundaries, time is a big deal in everything we quote so I'm sure it will not be the only option.

We use a lot of the Harvey tools also...

Part like this really lends itself to the 3D Chamfer just talked about. Really comes down to a process and what do you want to do to support that process. I got in a big fight with one of my programmers years ago over this very subject. The print had the same call out and it was for a very picky customer. I told him I wanted it deburred on the machine. That was 1000% against what the company had done for years. I was brought into shake things up and make the CNC department more profitable. He was a senior guy with the company that I had replaced when I was hired so he already hated me. He refused to do it and went home and I took the 1-1/2 hours to make everything that was needed to deburr the part on the machine. I think it added about 7 or 8 minutes to the run time. Next day he came him and have a complete crap fit about it. Went to one of the owners pissed and I just happen to be walking around the corner when they were discussing it.The owner told him yes I realize what he did and yes he went against you so just change it back to what you want and do it the way you want to do it. This was just after getting cussed out by another senior guy in front of the other owner and I was headed there to enlist that owner to help me get that corrected. That was my last day at that company and funny here we are almost 10 years later going over a subject that I have done for years on machines.

Again what is you process and do you consider programming part of the overhead or part of the job? Some companies track every minute of a programmer to the job and I understand that, but in something like this I would never quote that time into the programming part of the job or even track it. I would consider a programmers time part of the over head to run a company. If it took a skilled deburr person 5 minutes a part to deburr them and you were doing a 1000 parts then there is 5000 minutes of someone's time you have to pay for. Machine can do it in less than a minute and never scrap or mis-handle a part then good. Other part of the equation is the handling of the part. Now the parts have to be handled and stored and stocked and moved and that also takes time. That time cost money and if a programmer can take an extra hour to do the process and eliminate all that extra time which is cost then they are again part of the overhead and not really part of the original programming. Where it is important to balance what is your business model. One place I use to keep 14 machines programmed and running and the owner came to me with the request of needed to clock in and out of the parts as I was programming. I told him to sit in my office for half a day and just track all the different jobs I worked on and how many times I went out to the shop to take care of this or that issue and then tell me how to track it all and how many different time cards he wanted me to clock in and out of. He was convinced I was be obstinate and after half a day he gave me a raise since he never really took into account all I was getting done.

Sorry maybe all the years of being a boss is coming out in this response, but there are many different facets to this topic and just hoping I am giving you some food for thought.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to be willing to help others is what someone recently pointed out on this board to me, but I am blessed to have done what I done and glad to share my ignorance with others if it will help them.

• Like 1